Barnacle in hammer coral

Jonathan lee

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2018
Messages
266
Reaction score
108
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey again guys, this morning when i turned on my lights, i noticed a fan sticking out of my closed up hammer coral(since lights just came on) and it looks like a barnacle. Is this safe or is jt gonna cause some problems in the future?
 
Heres a pic

DE7DEA53-889D-4CC2-B800-3A42945EEBEA.jpeg
 
Could possibly annoy the coral, but shouldn't be too dangerous. #reefsquad, any experience with barnacles in Euphyllia corals?

~Bruce, whose barnacles are all in an Acropora coral - other than making it lumpy and misshapen, they don't seem to harm it
 
Is there a way to remove the barnacle without harming the coral?
 
I've had one in the middle of one of my M. digitata for years, doesn't seem to bother it at all. I don't think it's possible to remove it without damaging the coral. In my case, the coral has encrusted completely around the barnacle's carapace, with only the operculum exposed.
 
I
I've had one in the middle of one of my M. digitata for years, doesn't seem to bother it at all. I don't think it's possible to remove it without damaging the coral. In my case, the coral has encrusted completely around the barnacle's carapace, with only the operculum exposed.
I think my barnacle is between 2 heads which are going to split soon so i dont know if there will be any complications
 
Oops sorry for replying to an older thread but i forgot to say thank you to you guys for your input. Thanks yall
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new