Barometric pressure affect on fish tank filtration.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** Edit, I am not looking for ideas regarding how to fix my tank flow, i have a plan for that. I am looking for everyones thoughts on how barometric pressure could effect a tank. *****

Thank you to those that have already responded.

I have recently had some issues with my overflow and drains on my tank. I suspect it is due to a dirty pump and some other factors like air in my return lines. My overflow is external, coast to coast on a short end of my 96x30x25 reef. Tank has been set up since May of last year and can be viewed here.
The issue only started recently. The drains will be fine for several days and then they will start emptying the overflow and flushing (like a toilet). This will sometimes correct itself in a matter of minutes, or it may take several hours or even days.
Several people mentioned to me that it could be barometric pressure causing issues. I am not a physics person and have a small understanding of how pressure could play a part in the equation, but I'm not sure it isn't more anecdotal than scientific.

So please educate me on your thoughts on the effects of barometric pressure on a fish tank and its filtration.

Below is a list of questions and answers i got off of Physcicsforum.com. Not sure how much the effect really is but these answers seem to lean towards there could be some small effect. My personal thought is its not enough to effect the tanks filtration.

1.How does atmospheric pressure affect the water level in a tank?
Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the air above a certain area. When the pressure increases, it pushes down on the surface of the water in the tank, causing the water level to rise. When the pressure decreases, the water level in the tank will decrease as well.

2. Can atmospheric pressure cause water to flow faster or slower through a pipe?
Yes, atmospheric pressure can affect the flow rate of water through a pipe. When the atmospheric pressure is higher, it can help to push the water through the pipe at a faster rate. Conversely, when the atmospheric pressure is lower, the flow rate may decrease.

3 How does the height of the water column in a pipe change with atmospheric pressure?
The height of the water column in a pipe is directly affected by atmospheric pressure. As the atmospheric pressure increases, the weight of the air above the water column increases, causing the water to rise in the pipe. Similarly, a decrease in atmospheric pressure will cause the water column to decrease in height.

4. Can the temperature of the water in a tank affect atmospheric pressure?
Yes, the temperature of the water in a tank can affect atmospheric pressure. As the temperature of the water increases, the molecules in the air above the water will also increase in energy, causing them to spread out and exert less pressure on the water. This can lead to a decrease in atmospheric pressure.

5. How do changes in atmospheric pressure impact the structural integrity of a tank or pipe?
Changes in atmospheric pressure can impact the structural integrity of a tank or pipe if they are not designed to withstand these changes. An increase in pressure can put stress on the walls of the tank or pipe, potentially causing them to burst or leak. It is important to consider atmospheric pressure when designing these structures to ensure their safety and longevity.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have recently had some issues with my overflow and drains on my tank. I suspect it is due to a dirty pump and some other factors like air in my return lines. My overflow is external, coast to coast on a short end of my 96x30x25 reef. Tank has been set up since May of last year and can be viewed here.
The issue only started recently. The drains will be fine for several days and then they will start emptying the overflow and flushing (like a toilet). This will sometimes correct itself in a matter of minutes, or it may take several hours or even days.
Several people mentioned to me that it could be barometric pressure causing issues. I am not a physics person and have a small understanding of how pressure could play a part in the equation, but I'm not sure it isn't more anecdotal than scientific.

So please educate me on your thoughts on the effects of barometric pressure on a fish tank and its filtration.

Below is a list of questions and answers i got off of Physcicsforum.com. Not sure how much the effect really is but these answers seem to lean towards there could be some small effect. My personal thought is its not enough to effect the tanks filtration.

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the air above a certain area. When the pressure increases, it pushes down on the surface of the water in the tank, causing the water level to rise. When the pressure decreases, the water level in the tank will decrease as well.

It should not essentially affect it. Is the barometric pressure changing significantly in your location?
2. Can atmospheric pressure cause water to flow faster or slower through a pipe?
Yes, atmospheric pressure can affect the flow rate of water through a pipe. When the atmospheric pressure is higher, it can help to push the water through the pipe at a faster rate. Conversely, when the atmospheric pressure is lower, the flow rate may decrease.
Probably - but only insignificantly
3 How does the height of the water column in a pipe change with atmospheric pressure?
The height of the water column in a pipe is directly affected by atmospheric pressure. As the atmospheric pressure increases, the weight of the air above the water column increases, causing the water to rise in the pipe. Similarly, a decrease in atmospheric pressure will cause the water column to decrease in height.
No clue

Yes, the temperature of the water in a tank can affect atmospheric pressure. As the temperature of the water increases, the molecules in the air above the water will also increase in energy, causing them to spread out and exert less pressure on the water. This can lead to a decrease in atmospheric pressure.
No - but it's an odd question - do you mean in the room? Then no. I hate to say this you're overanalyzing a problem potentially
5. How do changes in atmospheric pressure impact the structural integrity of a tank or pipe?
Changes in atmospheric pressure can impact the structural integrity of a tank or pipe if they are not designed to withstand these changes. An increase in pressure can put stress on the walls of the tank or pipe, potentially causing them to burst or leak. It is important to consider atmospheric pressure when designing these structures to ensure their safety and longevity.
It should not - to the extent you're describing - I would consider something blocking your pipe (worms, debris, etc.). There is a post on R2R. now deleted. that shows basically hundreds of bristle worms partly (mostly) blocking the outflow

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In other words, I don't think atmospheric issues are a likely issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Likely its a pump issue and may be underpowered or water overflowing faster than pump can deliver water back to the tank. If your sump is low when tank level is correct, then the opposite occurs, its likely a pump issue. This can be balanced often with ball or shut-off valves.
A video of the activity when this happens will offer clue and suggestions

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Likely its a pump issue and may be underpowered or water overflowing faster than pump can deliver water back to the tank. If your sump is low when tank level is correct, then the opposite occurs, its likely a pump issue. This can be balanced often with ball or shut-off valves.
I don't believe he has a 'sump'. Its an all in one tank... Designed to work in this tank (the pump). However the pump can be causing an issue

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words, I don't think atmospheric issues are a likely issue.
I agree with you. Those were just some questions and answers i found on a different website.

I think any effect of pressure is likely insignificant as well.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe he has a 'sump'. Its an all in one tank... Designed to work in this tank (the pump). However the pump can be causing an issue
It’s a 300gal tank! That’s a heck of all in one haha! Just playing.. he did mention external overflow so it’s got a sump. I’d guess bad pump myself it’s not pressure.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and running for a significant period of time with no issues. I agree with you its most likely my pump. but i wondered what every one else's thoughts were on barometric pressure not my tank :)

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not an all in one. just has coast to coast overflow sump underneath.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank has been up and running for a significant period of time with no issues. I agree with you its most likely my pump. but i wondered what every one else's thoughts were on barometric pressure not my tank :)
With several changes during the year, I’ve never seen BP cause effect even in high mountain areas

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** Edit, I am not looking for ideas regarding how to fix my tank flow, i have a plan for that. I am looking for everyones thoughts on how barometric pressure could effect a tank. *****

Thank you to those that have already responded.

are you by chance using an older sicce sdc pump?

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With several changes during the year, I’ve never seen BP cause effect even in high mountain areas
Agree. We have had some monster low pressure systems come through and we even set our all time low pressure with the last 2 back to back. But I don't think it's enough to matter. Our pressure dropped lower than the blizzard of 78 here in Central Indiana twice in the last 2 weeks which was the previous record.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, I was only wondering because I have this occasionally happen to me with those pumps and I was curious, good luck

*following along*
Thank you. Getting ready to tear pump apart to inspect and clean I'll update here and my build thread if it fixes the issue.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sounds like the consensus is. Barometric pressure is a non point.

In other news. Random screw lodged in impeller will keep a pump from functioning correctly.
Hopefully this corrects the issue.
385394.jpeg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would be concerned as to where the random screw came from. Hopefully clearing it will solve your issue.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. Those were just some questions and answers i found on a different website.

I think any effect of pressure is likely insignificant as well.
IS this tank on the International Space Station?

I wonder what atmospheric pressure they run up there?

The internet can provide the most interesting answers, but application and assumptions have to be known to evaluate their importants in a particular setting.

Algae and snails in an aquarium pipe would be more likely to have a noticable impact imo, vs barometric pressure unless you are measuring hurricanes hitting the house?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back