Base encrusting abnormality

Mrussell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping SPS for a couple of years now and I have noticed at times when I get a new frag it will throw down a base that has little to no color. For example I got a hawkins frag about a month ago and it was already a little encrusted. The area where it was encrusted was all colored up. Since it has settled into my tank it has continued to encrust but the new base it is throwing down is more grey. The coral itself is still colored up it is just the new base. I have noticed this on my pink lemonade, red planet and ORA Borealis as well. The corals themselves are all colored up and when they become mini colonies the base will gain color. I was wondering if anyone else experiences anything similar. Was thinking it could be bugs bothering the base or maybe the new base growth gets bleached by my LEDs. Its not really a problem as everything is still colored up and growing nicely just curious.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens for me also. All my new growth is not as colorful as the main part of the established colony

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar experience. I bought a Barney Acro from Jason Fox, I think I placed it too close to the top and it bleached out.
I moved it lower but now the base of it has green polyps, like the frag next to it. I think the zooxanthellae repopulated with the frag's , kind of jumped next door in an empty house and give it's color to it.
Almost no purple left but it's growing and all polyps are out

Rmorales13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do the same thing for the most part. If i wasn't on my phone I'd post a pic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lack of something in your water that is preventing your new growth to either lay down a thicker skeleton, or something preventing your zooxanthellae from reproducing readily. Could be calcium, magnesium, potassium, iodide, or even a lack of a carbon source.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Coral is crystalizing faster than it has time for the tissue to color up. Give it a week or so. You should start to see the new growth color up. Similar to the white axial corallites on acropora.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back