Do acros colors get lighter before coloring up

Reef-_-Noob

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 23, 2022
Messages
297
Reaction score
92
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The piece is some rainbow tenuis. The small piece is when I first got it really colored up nicely. It has grown quite well but was completely green. I added an ai blade on top of it and the coral started getting lighter like if it was bleaching. But it hasn't bleached, I am starting to see some picks coming thru.

I must admit its hard to envision this coral getting that original color back when it was a frag, that color seems quite dark compared to now.

Is it a thing for corals to get lighter as they start to get color back??



IMG-20260819-WA0009.jpg

20260823_184312.jpg

20260823_184525.jpg

20260802_140647.jpg
 
Recent picks with some pinks showing thru



20260823_184530.jpg

20260822_194900.jpg
 
It has been my experience with SPS and Even LPS that their color will vary in intensity and overall pigment depending on the parameters of the tank. Meaning there is no guarantee that what you purchase will grow out exactly as you saw it prior to purchase. It seems like it is growing fine and good polyp extension so I wouldn’t worry.
 
What kind of lights do you have on the tank and how long have you had the coral for? Keeping coral alive vs getting the right colors to pop is two different challenges.
 
Nutrient poor water usually gets them pastel colors, sometimes light. What is your NP situation, in tandem with what do you feed them, if anything? You can get a lot deeper richer colors dosing ammonium for a nitrogen source.
 
Ive had the coral almost 2 years, the coral is alive and growing this is about color. I was running ai prime 16 and last month bout the Ai blade glow 12 inches. Placed it right above this coral so its getting blasted now
 
I recommend taking a look at the flow. Get a turkey baster and blow air into a wavemaker a few times to see the pattern around the coral in question, then increase if necessary. It sounds like light intensity was increased without increasing flow.
 
I recommend taking a look at the flow. Get a turkey baster and blow air into a wavemaker a few times to see the pattern around the coral in question, then increase if necessary. It sounds like light intensity was increased without increasing flow.
I added another powerhead and you sir seem to be correct. Also, if you are reefermatt on YouTube epic tank sorry to see it go!
 
There are so many different variables in resulting colors for corals and acros specifically. I got a few acros in yesterday and water was extremely cold. In last day they’ve looked very pale. They’re still alive just colors are not there from when I bought them. Just gonna have to be consistent and color them back up hopefully. I would say your light intensity and spectrum along with flow and nutrition could be the result
 
I added another powerhead and you sir seem to be correct. Also, if you are reefermatt on YouTube epic tank sorry to see it go!
I hope it works out for you, and yes. A new bigger and better tank is in the works!
 
Coral is now getting some pink to it. Any idea how long the process takes??



20260930_171448.jpg

20260930_171558.jpg
 
You may be low on potassium or iodine, have you run an ICP recently?
 
Coral is now getting some pink to it. Any idea how long the process takes??



20260930_171448.jpg

20260930_171558.jpg
From what I've experienced, green for a colored sps is normally indicating more light to show it's true colors. Tenuis species can take alot of light and are very hardy for a SPS. I've had a blue stag that was green at 250 par and moved it to 400 par and growth tips started to show the the true colors and turned all blue in 1 months time. PAR patrol might be after me for advising higher par.

How much PAR was it getting before the light addition and what is it currently getting now? To answer your question, Ive colored up many brownies in 1-2 months time. Tank needs to be stable where other sps are showing growth and good color too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new