Basement sump and DC return pump options.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You combat it by mentioning it at every turn so that the people who care about the damage that gets done, but did not know, will choose other products. The people who don't care that they are hurting other people as long as they get a cheap pump will not be bothered, but you don't do it for them... you do it for every other people who puts some skin in the game to innovate and start a company and abides by fair trade principles.

Most just don't know.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You combat it by mentioning it at every turn so that the people who care about the damage that gets done, but did not know, will choose other products. The people who don't care that they are hurting other people as long as they get a cheap pump will not be bothered, but you don't do it for them... you do it for every other people who puts some skin in the game to innovate and start a company and abides by fair trade principles.

Most just don't know.
Fair enough. I get that

for clarity- I either bought a jebao, or I couldn’t build my system when I did. - $500 pump wasn’t in the budget. Figured I’d use it for a year until it blew out like people kept saying, but it’s been fine for 2.5 years.
Also- do you do this just for aquarium pumps, or every ripped- off product and brand? Do you use apple products that exploit overseas labor sources? Do you use Uber and Lyft that have records of employee abuse and coersive tactics?

I don’t want to turn this into a political thing. Dude asked a question about return pumps and got a IP protection and ‘don’t buy Chinese’ speech. Inappropriate, in my opinion.

FWIW- the pump was a one off purchase. When it goes out- I’ll probably buy a different brand,since there are a couple things wrong with the controller I don’t like. And I can afford the upgrade nowadays. If they change the controller I might even get a newer model jebao, because, hey, it’s $300 and I have young kids.

i justify it - actually not in this case, I didn’t really spend much time agonizing over it- but I offset injustices Like you described by buying groceries responsibly, buying farmed seafood and fish, sourcing lumber from renewable growth operations and not supporting companies with crappy employee treatment. We use solar power and drive a hybrid vehicle that we charge using the solar. I also worked 12 years developing free to patient vaccines and treatments, and my wife works in healthcare coordinating cancer treatments that have saved lives.

we offset plenty, and wouldn’t consider myself someone who ‘doesn’t care about hurting other people for a cheap pump’. At the time I did my build, I had a hard budget, and a new baby 3 months from turning up.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laguna is less than $200and will last a decade... less than when you have to buy that second knockoff after the first one fails. You can also stop recommending them if you want to help.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laguna is less than $200and will last a decade... less than when you have to buy that second knockoff after the first one fails. You can also stop recommending them if you want to help.
Link to a $200 5000 gph Laguna dc pump? I’ll be all over that when the time comes. Thanks!

were they available 2.5 years ago? Because when I was asking, it was like crickets in here, with >$500 the only recommendations

edit- I see it’s an AC pump. That’s fine, but doesn’t exactly fit in with the request for a DC pump.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Do you use apple products that exploit overseas labor sources? Do you use Uber and Lyft that have records of employee abuse and coersive tactics?

I can with certainty say no. I don't support any of those listed.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can with certainty say no. I don't support any of those listed.
That’s great. seriously.

the only apple products we use are our phones- that are paid for by my wife’s company. We’d prefer something else, but they won’t allow it due to security issues. Non-existent in my opinion, but that’s their rule

OP
OP
saltgeek1

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone for replying I think I will stick with my current pump as my main concern with it was wattage, but it looks like doing the same work with a DC pump is not going to get me anything outside of money away from purchasing more coral :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a plan for when the ReeFlow has a seal, motor or something fail. They are not long lived. Look for a PanWorld, BlueLine or Iwaki on the used market - they can be cheap if you have time to look.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you better find one source to get all your coral from. So your not supporting people stealing someone else's named coral and calling it there own..

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if it wasn't for the cheap Chinese products this hobby would literally be out of price range for alot of people.. which doesn't help anyone.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very easy to buy high quality used equipment for pennies on the dollar. @jda has a thread on another forum where he put together a 60 cube with all equipment and livestock and ran it for a year for less than $1000. It looked better than many of the tanks on here, was about as affordable as it gets, and didn’t rely on manufacturers that use intellectual property theft as a business policy.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't care to each there own. I have my opinion and you have yours. But there will alway be intellectual property theft. Nothing will change.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't care to each there own. I have my opinion and you have yours. But there will alway be intellectual property theft. Nothing will change.
I don’t think we will end intellectual property theft, but we can each make our best attempt at not participating in said intellectual property theft.
Using the existence of unethical practices or behaviors to justify participation in those practices and behaviors is kooky and or wrongheaded.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat. my UV will not fit under my stand so thinking i might plumb to the basement. was looking at the reef flow and all the reviews with leaking seals really turned me off. + I think i would like to just use the red sea sump and not go crazy.

looks like most pumps that can handle this are external. besides abbys sure i want one but that almost what I paid for the tank/sump and stand.

I had an iwaki years ago I remember it was loud.
i;ll look into panworld and laguna pumps . any modles that work for SW? places to buy from?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back