Basement Sump, What Pump?

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am making a new 135 gallon system which has its own thread on here and wondering how to tell what pump to use. What I am worried about is if I buy a strong pump like a Reeflo Dart or Barracuda it won't loose much flo over 10 or 15 feet of plumbing. Do they provide these numbers on their site which I cannot see or is there a quick calculation you can do for flow rate over so many feet through a specific diameter pipe. Thanks all, I will have more pictures up soon on the 135 gallon setup. You can see it here, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/building-a-135-reef.372459/

OP
OP
Wicky48

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to that I also want to have enough flow as well. Is it a bad idea to use valves to control the flow of your pump or a pump? Does this put more strain on your pump. Thanks!

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a valve on the output, that’s fine. There are head pressure calculators online but if you figure you have around fifteen feet of head pressure most of the name brand external pumps will have no problem. Personally if you want an external I would use an Iwaki.

Shad Quill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a reeflo yellowtail and have it dialed back 50 percent with about 750 gph at 15 feet of head height and my manifold running off of it.

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a pan world 250 in my basement- about the same head height your looking at and I have a manifold running fuge, frag tank and options for reactors, with frag tank and reactors offline I have to dial it back with valves.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back