Bashsea Twisted Skimmer

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I ordered a bashsea sump and I was thinking of ordering the skimmer as well...anyone have any info on their skimmers? I tried to contact Bashsea so far no reply...I have no skimmer right now and I would like to get the matching skimmer for my sump. I need info on how to plumb it? And also if I can run it off my manifold alone with out an extra pump I was thinking of keeping it outside my sump

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers with becketts require a ton of flow....and are very noisy....but, in my opinion, the best at skimming. That said, when I ran an MRC, I was using a MAG 24....i.e. 2400 gph. So if you wish to run this off a manifold, you'll need an enormous pump. As far as noise, not an issue if your sump is remotely located....like in your basement. If it's immediately below the tank, in the stand, be prepared for a bit of noise.

Plumbing is quite simple....pump water in and drain water (with valve) back into the sump. Here's one of my external MRC's.....clear tubing (towards the back) is incoming water, valve and white pipe is drain back into the sump.

IMG_1774.jpg

And here's how it looks in the sump....closest pipe is water being pumped to the skimmer....1 1/2 " pipe right behind that is water returning to the sump.

IMG_2127.jpg

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Skimmers with becketts require a ton of flow....and are very noisy....but, in my opinion, the best at skimming. That said, when I ran an MRC, I was using a MAG 24....i.e. 2400 gph. So if you wish to run this off a manifold, you'll need an enormous pump. As far as noise, not an issue if your sump is remotely located....like in your basement. If it's immediately below the tank, in the stand, be prepared for a bit of noise.

Plumbing is quite simple....pump water in and drain water (with valve) back into the sump. Here's one of my external MRC's.....clear tubing (towards the back) is incoming water, valve and white pipe is drain back into the sump.

IMG_1774.jpg

And here's how it looks in the sump....closest pipe is water being pumped to the skimmer....1 1/2 " pipe right behind that is water returning to the sump.

IMG_2127.jpg

I ended up buying the bashsea skimmer and buying a sicce 4.0 pump and that thing is dead silent! I love the skimmer best thing I decided to do

I ended up speaking to some one from bashsea and they said it was best I buy a pump for the skimmer because it need constant flow

Another thing is, it took almost 2 weeks for the skimmer to break in, I became a little nervous with all the micro bubbles but it was all good after the 2 weeks

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a PM Bullet becket injector based skimmer. They work very well... but yeah, they're loud. It's not so much the pump, as the becket injector. My Bullet had some sort of silencer on it, but it was definitely the loudest component of that system.

I'm not sure they can out perform modern needle wheel designs. My Vertex 180i is one heck of a skimmer.

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My skimmer is really quiet the loudest thing in my tank is the overflow into the filter sock and my cheap jaebo rw-15

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
@Whipples i bought this thing at the end of March and I cleaned the injector once and ran some vinegar through the swirl part last month in September so I guess I will be doing it like once every six month but I do have a light bio load as far as fish goes. I clean my skimmer cup every 2 weeks and you see how much skimmate I pull from only 6 fish

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at these and the Life Reef ones. Both will set me back quite a bit but both work. Currently using a needle-wheel skimmer which i know isn't "the greatest" but i get black sludge out of my tank with it, can't imagine getting much more than that from a skimmer...

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
@Whipples Honestly at this point in this industry just about every sort of skimmer does the job. I just wanted something different and that looked cool. I was in between this and a Deltec this was cheaper lol so it won

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It for sure looks awesome! Glad to know it works as well as it looks, too. The Life Reefs are also nice because there is no maintenance beyond the pump and skimmer cup. Trying to go for the least maintenance, most effective, quiet skimmer I can. Currently using an Ice Cap skimmer and I'm well under it's "heavy" rating but I get nice, dark skimmate and my kessil refugium light is louder than the skimmer.

chasefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a bashsea sump and I was thinking of ordering the skimmer as well...anyone have any info on their skimmers? I tried to contact Bashsea so far no reply...I have no skimmer right now and I would like to get the matching skimmer for my sump. I need info on how to plumb it? And also if I can run it off my manifold alone with out an extra pump I was thinking of keeping it outside my sump

chasefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy one. Mine came damaged and they refused to replace it. their customer service is the worst. The fittings come glued as if your putting it in the sump witch makes piping it externally very difficult. They don't have any warranty either. Go with a life reef skimmer.

chasefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey did you ever get their skimmer? I'm looking at it myself and they are a bit hard to find info on. Thanks!
Don't buy one. Mine came damaged and They refused to replace it. The build quality is very poor. They are very difficult to plumb external. I never got to use mine because of the damage but I heard alot of bad stuff about the performance. They always block up and you have to clean them all the time

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also came damaged, but they sent me a new one immediately. Its a quality skimmer. Consistently pulls every day. I wanted one because i dont want any pump in the water. I use a panworld on this skimmer.

Motorcitycorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Bashsea sumps and skimmers on all my set ups, they are solid as a rock and never stop working even when i am to busy and neglect cleaning. the best part of the skimmer is it can be run internal or external and no mater the water level it never effects the skimmer, also it never overflows, runs perfect every single day. i highly recommend them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back