Basic DIY Stand Calculator

Ok, I've looking around at all of the different threads of larger stand being created... I'm building a stand for a 72x30x25H tank (235g I believe), glass tank. It will be attached to the wall in the back with benches on either side (kind of like a built in). With the 30" width I was going to double the front red beam, put middle brace in back and front (removable for front). Can I get away with 2x6 since my span is only 3'?

How about the 30" width too? I haven't seen too many add a third red beam in the middle. I do plan on adding cross bracing to the top as well.
I'd like to say, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

@RocketEngineer knows the calculations and can tell you for sure, but I believe you can simply use his guidelines for the side-to-side horizontal rails for your front-to-back horizontal rails. So yes, I believe 2x6's will work 🙂

I'd also like to remind everyone that any center brace, no matter how necessary or how annoying, can be made to be removable 🙂

Best of luck with your build!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new