Basic Reef knowledge needed!

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been thinking of ways to improve my Fluval Evo 13.5
I think a good place to Start is Copepods. What kinds of copepods are recommended? and much much do I need to start?

Also, what is a good cleanup crew? I currently have around 5 hermits and 4 Astraea snails in the tank but algae grows faster than they can eat it. I'm considering adding roughly 10 more hermits and 2-4 more snails. Any other additions I should make?

Finally, what is the best tip for keeping hair/turf algae under control? Manual removal works but only for about 1-1.5 weeks before it comes back.

All tips are greatly appreciated!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been thinking of ways to improve my Fluval Evo 13.5
I think a good place to Start is Copepods. What kinds of copepods are recommended? and much much do I need to start?

Also, what is a good cleanup crew? I currently have around 5 hermits and 4 Astraea snails in the tank but algae grows faster than they can eat it. I'm considering adding roughly 10 more hermits and 2-4 more snails. Any other additions I should make?

Finally, what is the best tip for keeping hair/turf algae under control? Manual removal works but only for about 1-1.5 weeks before it comes back.

All tips are greatly appreciated!
In my 15 nano I have two clowns, two snails, 3 hermits, 1 conch, 1 coral banded shrimp and an emerald crab. I remove hair algae manually if this helps at all. But the emerald crab is awesome

turtle23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One bottle of pods from your LFS should do fine, You could always do more if you wanted I would suggest using a variety of pods though. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on cleanup crews but an emerald crab could help with your allergy issue.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One bottle of pods from your LFS should do fine, You could always do more if you wanted I would suggest using a variety of pods though. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on cleanup crews but an emerald crab could help with your allergy issue.
Do you notice if pods help with the algae?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Pods absolutely help with algae. We carry 6 species all of which are touted to eat algae. Check us out, www.reefbysteele.com. We have a page labeled knowledge and you can find information on the pods and their benefits.

Live phytoplankton will help fight algae as it will consume nitrates and phosphates prior to being consumed by pods, corals and other filter feeders. It also help you establish colonies of the pods.

I would suggest our blended pods as a starting point as the Tigriopus and Apocyclops are go getters, and the Tisbe are tiny and can get clear down to the roots so it doesn’t just grow back.

I didn’t catch if you have an emerald crab. I have had them and they do a good job, but they can and probably will eat corals.

For a Clean Up Crew I would hit up Reefcleaners.org and check out their dwarf ceriths. They can get in really tight spots as well.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally had good luck trying to “beef up our 100G to transfer to 125. I even dipped a small baseball sized rock in high salinity to kill Bristleworms. After, I worm and so many different sizes of pods , not an option! All I got was a small order and they have populated in DT from return pump! Very happy Reefs by Steele, nice people to deal with.
Debra

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have personally had good luck trying to “beef up our 100G to transfer to 125. I even dipped a small baseball sized rock in high salinity to kill Bristleworms. After, I worm and so many different sizes of pods , not an option! All I got was a small order and they have populated in DT from return pump! Very happy Reefs by Steele, nice people to deal with.
Debra
Thanks for the shout out. Love hearing from our friends on R2R.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back