Upgrading System - Need Tips

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

So I've made the leap to a bigger tank and need your guidance and tips on the best way to go about setting up. I've ran a Fluval Evo 13.5 for 2 years now where I have learned a lot and so have decided to get a D-D Reef Pro 900.

I've been giving some thought to some of the equipment and have kind of decided on the following. I'd be grateful if you think these would be ok for that size system etc.

- Return pump - Jecod DCP-2500 Controller & Pump (2500 L/H)
- Protein Skimmer - Bubble Magus G5 Internal Protein Skimmer
- Wave Maker - AI NERO Wireless 3 Wave Pump (1 to start with and then 2 in total)

With regards to the lighting I'm not sure which way to go. I see online the D-D manufactures recommend 2 AI Hydra 32 HD's for a mixed reef. A mixed reef is what I am aiming for. However the AI Hydra 32 HD's are really expensive.

I've seen the NICREW HyperReef 100w for £165 so was thinking would 2 of these with the controller be ok for that size tank and a mixed reef? Alternatively I was looking at the AI Prime 16 HD which is a little more expensive than the NICREW option. Guidance and alternatives would be appreciated here.

Lastly I'd be grateful for any tips regarding transferring from my Fluval - which I plan to turn into a quarantine tank. I have a piece of TMC ECO Reef rock in there which I was thinking of using in the new tank which has a BTA and a few Zoa's attached to it. In terms of livestock I have 2 clowns, 1 scooter blenny, a cleaner shrimp, few hermit crabs and snails to send over. Or would I be best to just start a fresh with new rock as I know I will need to add a lot more anyway and then go through the cycling process and transfer over the livestock into the new system.

Looking forward to getting your ideas and guidance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to start systems off with a refugium only and add a skimmer down the line if nitrates are still an issue. As for return pumps I have one jebao with no complaints but it's only a few months old. For lighting without spending a fortune, noopsyches, quanta, reefbrite, are budget friendly and can put out a good amount of light. They all have the pros and cons so that's up to you to figure which one is best. A lot of people here like reefi lights which are a good bang for you buck from my understanding.

As for the wavemaker, totally your call but I really don't like spending a fortune on them when cheaper ones will get the job done. I used two sicce voyagers on my 75 gallon for a while. Eventually I swapped the for jebao slw's because of a particular need.

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to start systems off with a refugium only and add a skimmer down the line if nitrates are still an issue. As for return pumps I have one jebao with no complaints but it's only a few months old. For lighting without spending a fortune, noopsyches, quanta, reefbrite, are budget friendly and can put out a good amount of light. They all have the pros and cons so that's up to you to figure which one is best. A lot of people here like reefi lights which are a good bang for you buck from my understanding.

As for the wavemaker, totally your call but I really don't like spending a fortune on them when cheaper ones will get the job done. I used two sicce voyagers on my 75 gallon for a while. Eventually I swapped the for jebao slw's because of a particular need.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll take a look at those lights you mentioned.

Interesting on the skimmer point. I just assumed I’d need a skimmer at the offset and didn’t consider just having a refugium to start with would be enough.

Appreciate your advice

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting on the skimmer point. I just assumed I’d need a skimmer at the offset and didn’t consider just having a refugium to start with would be enough.

Appreciate your advice

A refugium with a proper light can be the only source of waste removal needed other than carbon.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Appreciate your advice
I would add the skimmer. Skimmers don't remove Nitrates. They remove the organics that will eventually decompose and get converted to nitrates down the line.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back