Battery Backup Systems

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who wants to talk battery backup systems? Inverter/chargers and big batteries. There are other old threads out there on this topic but much of the specific equipment linked is obsolete. This equipment costs big bucks so it needs to be correct the first time. Other member's experience with specific equipment would be priceless!

I am researching a system for powering an AC return pump, a small backup heater, and preferably also a DC wavemaker powerhead. I know it is redundant to run a DC pump off AC power on an inverter. But for simplicities sake it would be nice to run all required equipment off one unit.

Inverter/Charger Selection - Pure Sine vs Modified Sine?
The Tripp Lite APS 750 appears to be a popular unit. It produces modified sine wave power. Does anyone have experience with this specific model? Is the power clean enough to run AC pumps and DC pumps with variable speed controllers? And with the cheaper pure sine inverters like the ones linked below, are you really getting a quality product? Another consideration with these inverter/chargers appears to be AC power draw while charging the battery. After a power outage, when the utility power returns, you have essentially added a large battery charger to the house circuit along with your tank. Can you main breaker handle it? Some of the inverters appear to have power draw adjustments for this and others do not.

Tripp Lite APS 750
https://www.tripplite.com/750w-powe...ger-auto-transfer-switching-2-outlets~APS750/

AIMS 600w Pure Sine
http://www.aimscorp.net/600-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Charger-12V.html

KISAE Abso 1000 Pure Sine
http://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-Abso-1000-Compact-Inverter-Charger-p/ic121040.htm

Battery Selection - It appears that the only real choice for a system like this is AGM batteries. Flooded cell batteries can not only emit hydrogen gas, but the risk of spilling acid/lead inside your house is too great. According to my research AGM appears to be far safer. The 200Ah class batteries have caught my eye, for around $400. Anything less just doesn't seem enough.

Mighty Max 200Ah AGM Battery
https://www.amazon.com/200Ah-Battery-Replacement-Solar-Systems/dp/B010TXTNP0

Universal Battery 200Ah AGM Battery
http://www.powerstridebattery.com/marine-batteries/4d-agm-battery-auto-posts

Does anyone have experience with specific products to accomplish these goals, and equipment that did or did not work with such a system?

Thanks!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a cyber power that does not do well on my generator due to the voltage fluctuations, but it still works, just keeps tripping, over/under etc... My old apc 1500 isn't as touchy.

I think with any conversation about ups it's worth discussing generators, because no battery pack is going to be able to keep a decent sized tank warm enough in the winter. Heaters drain battery packs, so I would only keep a few hours and put the rest of the money into a generator with a decent voltage regulator. I got a used 8000w generac generator with a decent engine, hooked it up to natural gas, but didn't pay close attention to the voltage regulators on the model and am kicking myself.

For the ups, I think basically any will be fine for DC powered devices, if you can skip the inverter, you save a decent amount of efficiency, but that requires having battery packs in the right voltage, at which point I'd say just get a beefier ups.

Whatever strategy you take, plan for staged power support, alerts and long term strategies.

Personally, by the time you spend so much on a battery pack, it's going to be more effort than it's worth. You have to replace the battery packs every year or two, so plan on that cost and make sure you test the packs as they lose their stamina after a while. I would just get a used 2u rack mounted ups with new batteries and call it a day. They self test and usually have network connections for alerting.

OP
OP
B

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for your thoughts! I am cornered into the battery system vs a generator because a priority of the system is for it to operate while I am away. I live in a town home/condo type thing and an auto-starting generator is just not an option. If I can get 10hrs of battery powered water flow and a backup heater that would only kick on at 70 degrees or so, that will get me through 99% of our normal power outages.

OP
OP
B

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the system described here is $700-$800! So I'm trying to decide if it's worth it vs just putting the powerheads on like a vortex backup and crossing my fingers. Problem is my house is cold and I need to plan on being temperature critical after only 5 or 6 hrs.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the system described here is $700-$800! So I'm trying to decide if it's worth it vs just putting the powerheads on like a vortex backup and crossing my fingers. Problem is my house is cold and I need to plan on being temperature critical after only 5 or 6 hrs.
Honda makes some very quiet small ones that vendors use for food carts. They're just expensive. I think for an extended period heat is going to be the limiting factor. My mistake was putting all of my equipment (2x300w heaters) on it. I would get a small heater for that purpose.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back