Battery Backup

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an approaching hurricane in the gulf, I have decided to purchase a battery backup system for my aquarium for power outages of 6-12 hours. The only thing that I’m worried about powering during outages is my filters. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a budget friendly battery bank that would run for at least 6 hours?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an approaching hurricane in the gulf, I have decided to purchase a battery backup system for my aquarium for power outages of 6-12 hours. The only thing that I’m worried about powering during outages is my filters. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a budget friendly battery bank that would run for at least 6 hours?
The first issue is whether or not they're even available. When ever there is an event like this supplies like battery back ups and generators are sold out. I would recommend a generator over a back up. Can get one to power your house for 5 or 600$. Might as well make a home investment rather than just the tank. I have a 5500w generator. I just shut off my main breaker, roll it outside my garage and plug it into a 220 socket. Powers the whole house that way.

OP
OP
Aiden Graves

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. May look into that instead. We have a gas generator but my parents haven’t used it since Katrina and it’s old and obsolete.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. May look into that instead. We have a gas generator but my parents haven’t used it since Katrina and it’s old and obsolete.
If it runs there's nothing wrong with it. If not used very often add some seafoam to the gas mix. Will help clear the lines. The most important thing is to shut the main breaker off on the fuse panel before using it to power the home. If not, when the power comes back on it will be a really bad thing.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first issue is whether or not they're even available. When ever there is an event like this supplies like battery back ups and generators are sold out. I would recommend a generator over a back up. Can get one to power your house for 5 or 600$. Might as well make a home investment rather than just the tank. I have a 5500w generator. I just shut off my main breaker, roll it outside my garage and plug it into a 220 socket. Powers the whole house that way.
If it matters to anyone. I can run my home AND 4 ton central air unit with my 8750 inverter generator. Trick is to install a soft start on the condenser unit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back