Battle with low PH

aqua reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After ignoring my tank for about a year, i have just started to restock my tank. My current tank total volume is around 600L, and i run a calcium reactor. Until recently someone pointed to me that my PH of 7.7 is extremely low and need to look at. I currently run a calcium reactor and i attribute this low ph to the calcium reactor. So in a harsh move, i decomm the calcium reactor and switched to Tropic Marine All-For-Reef dosing. True enough, the ph went up to 7.9 in the day, and around 7.8 at night. To further increase the PH, i decided to add in a kalkwasser reactor to dose at night. I use a kamoer continuous dosing pump and i drip 5ml/min of kalkwasser into the sump at night. The total volume of kalk for the overnight dripping works out to be around 5L/night. However, i don't see a dent in the ph at all. May be a 0.01 or 0.02 increase in ph.

Since i only started doing this in the last 1 week, do you think the PH will gradually improve over the next few months if i keep doing the kalk dosing at night? Or would it just stay like this?

OP
OP
A

aqua reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run an air tubing from outside the house to my skimmer intake. Other than that, the tank is indoor, and not a lot of ventilation going on.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Look at getting a co2 meter from amazon. Measure inside and outside the house. Also consider using sodium hydroxide drip instead of kalk to bring ph up.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at getting a co2 meter from amazon. Measure inside and outside the house. Also consider using sodium hydroxide drip instead of kalk to bring ph up.
Just for future reference, the ph to alk contribution ratio is about the same for either. Lye only has the benefit of higher solubility. 1,000/L @25C°
Over 8lbs/gallon.
But, you are adding sodium, and most likely chloride with the calcium supplement when using lye.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for future reference, the ph to alk contribution ratio is about the same for either. Lye only has the benefit of higher solubility. 1,000/L @25C°
Over 8lbs/gallon.
But, you are adding sodium, and most likely chloride with the calcium supplement when using lye.

Yes, it's primary benefit is getting over the calcium hydroxide solubility limit imposed on kalkwasser additions.

I recommend a 2/3 part system when using it, sodium hydroxide, calcium chloride, and Balling Part C, but other implementations also can be sued:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back