Kalkwasser

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I am looking at it, is it can have a steady dose of 20ml every 3 hours day and night (at the moment) and what ever the ATO puts in too

but why not dose to you evaporation rate when you want to. Then you know what was put in and when.

OP
OP
Hammy1

Hammy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add vinegar to dissolve more kalkwasser into solution.

You can also keep the kalkwasser constantly mixing in a container (with a powerhead) and add as much kalk as you want, you then dose this as a "slurry" solution.

I dose 1.3ml a minute of 2x concentrated kalkwasser (4tsp per gallon) from 8pm to 8am. You can tell the difference in the ph graph when the dosing happens, ph falls much slower than without.
This sounds like a good option for me, because I don't get much evaporation. What kind of vinegar (white distilled?) and how much in 5 litres?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would
This sounds like a good option for me, because I don't get much evaporation. What kind of vinegar (white distilled?) and how much in 5 litres?
I would first figure out how much alk you're consuming on a daily basis. But yes, white distilled vinegar is fine. about 20ml of vinegar per tsp of kalk I believe is what I used.

But adding the vinegar will also be adding a carbon source for bacteria, which can cause bacterial blooms, especially in smaller tanks.

Adding more kalk just for a slight ph boost isn't worth it, especially if your alkalinity will keep climbing up and up.

I can't stress enough, dial in you're alkalinity and consumption of saturated kalkwasser first, then you can start adding things like vinegar or other options to up the potency of kalk.

PH is not the end all of reefing. Yes, corals may grow faster at 8.3-8.4, but don't sacrifice the basics of calcium/alkalinity/magnesium to get to that 8.4 mark.

OP
OP
Hammy1

Hammy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would

I would first figure out how much alk you're consuming on a daily basis. But yes, white distilled vinegar is fine. about 20ml of vinegar per tsp of kalk I believe is what I used.

But adding the vinegar will also be adding a carbon source for bacteria, which can cause bacterial blooms, especially in smaller tanks.

Adding more kalk just for a slight ph boost isn't worth it, especially if your alkalinity will keep climbing up and up.

I can't stress enough, dial in you're alkalinity and consumption of saturated kalkwasser first, then you can start adding things like vinegar or other options to up the potency of kalk.

PH is not the end all of reefing. Yes, corals may grow faster at 8.3-8.4, but don't sacrifice the basics of calcium/alkalinity/magnesium to get to that 8.4 mark.
I understand

OP
OP
Hammy1

Hammy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, been dosing the kalkwasser @ 20ml 16 times a day = 320ml. And in the ATO. Ph has risen from 7.7 to 8.03 going to leave it as is for a week, then see what it is. Eventually looking for 8.2 to 8.3

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, been dosing the kalkwasser @ 20ml 16 times a day = 320ml. And in the ATO. Ph has risen from 7.7 to 8.03 going to leave it as is for a week, then see what it is. Eventually looking for 8.2 to 8.3
You are monitoring alkalinity, I assume?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back