BATTLECORALS ACRO POLL 2021, 2024 additional addendum added

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

You tell me! What types of SPS would you like to see more of at Battlecorals?

• Millis

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Tenuis

Votes: 73 32.0%
  • Stags

Votes: 42 18.4%
  • Tables

Votes: 49 21.5%
  • Oddballs

Votes: 62 27.2%
  • Smooth Skins

Votes: 70 30.7%
  • Stylos

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Montis

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No namers

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Dude, the site is perfect, don't you dare change a thing.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • 2024 addendum: specosia? anyone

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • um, sorry I am an idiot. that's "speciosa"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course everyone is going to answer tenuis or mille. Everyone and their dog is selling them for a fortune for good reason, but I can't help but love the simplicity and elegance of a stag. They grow relatively easily and very quickly, so they give that awesome feel of accomplishment. Not every tank needs to have the hardest acros to keep. If we didn't have easy corals that looked awesome, we'd never want to keep corals because the difficult ones to keep are usually the most expensive and they often die when everything else looks great. The same goes for stylos. I wish there were more stylo variants out there because they're honestly one of the coolest corals out there.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Of course everyone is going to answer tenuis or mille. Everyone and their dog is selling them for a fortune for good reason, but I can't help but love the simplicity and elegance of a stag. They grow relatively easily and very quickly, so they give that awesome feel of accomplishment. Not every tank needs to have the hardest acros to keep. If we didn't have easy corals that looked awesome, we'd never want to keep corals because the difficult ones to keep are usually the most expensive and they often die when everything else looks great. The same goes for stylos. I wish there were more stylo variants out there because they're honestly one of the coolest corals out there.

I love stags too but Man I am sooooo with you on stylos!

the old rainbow Stylo is probably the only sps I’ve ever seen that was really worthy of the name rainbow. It’s amazing to me.

Jason Hieger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pros and cons of name calling.

1.Pro
a. Way easier to keep tabs on as it grows, puts a name with the face so to speak.
b. It's easier to Google what it will look like in the end. ( sometimes )
c. If I Google battle corals ##named acro it comes up.
d. Names equal value, value equal investment. Alot of people are more likely to be on their game with named Vs cheap. As far as tank parameters and maintenance.
e. As an investment it should detract people that shouldn't be trying acros anyway. Just my opinion.

2.Cons
a. Obviously prices are higher/ or will they be? Sometimes a no name can become exspensive. Alot of you are still stuck in Preban mind set. I'm sorry it's just never gonna be the same again.
b. People want no name cause they want cheap... simple as that. This isn't a hobby for a cheap skate anymore. It's not like it was 20 years ago.
c. Everyone has a different name for the same coral.
d. We aren't stupid all vendors swap with each other then change the name also.. seen it several times.

In close the question is what to do?
... If people want the cheaper no color no name that fine. But there has to be a way or name to identify the coral as that vendors piece.
I would propose the idea of handing down pedigree papers like AKC for dogs. Just a certificate that says you had originally bought this from XX BATTLE CORALS. And you can pass the lineage on
With that I would hope the next vendor that gets that piece would pass on the lineage paper.
Obviously this can be flawed and faked as can almost anything else in this day and age.

Now what do we do about vendors getting the same no names and naming them something different at the exact same time in history? Then you would still have 2 names same piece.

Battle Corals ( Adam ) you guys grow awesome coral. Whatever you decide to do in the future I support that decision. I personally like seeing the "proven " bright colored Corals you have. They are freaking fantastic. maybe a tier system where ya pay for how many colors a coral has...lol then people still be complaining. There's alot of True Collectors out there like me that are willing to pay premium prices for a named coral. On the other hand begginers need entry level acros.... guess that's what this really boils down to.

Just my $5 worth enjoy and this is friendly conversation don't rag on me too bad. I get both points of view.
I totally get this and you are entitled to your opinion. However, I chuckle at 2b and the no color no name comment.

I have a mix of "high-end" corals and "no namers" from Adam. The no namers hold their own with the high-end or expensive ones. What makes me chuckle is they have names but they are not on Adam's website. They eventually become Hot Heaven or Rainbow Melon Teni.

I will take my no namers all day long. No namers or named corals, Adam takes care of you when ordering a Battlebox.

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tenuis! How can you not love these BC ones?

D84157A4-9EDE-4018-9144-A40F132B9C2C.jpeg

0DC7ED61-F978-433C-956B-8913D4C83535.jpeg

9AD7D9BE-B15F-439C-AADD-8391B9761F33.jpeg

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd ball no namer stags here! I really like the branching corals and that’s the first thing I think of when I think about a reef. Names are ridiculous, and over inflate prices. The only real use I see for corals to be named is so that a person knows what they have. They could all be labeled Acro A1, or Tenuis B36, and still serve the purpose. I shop with BattleCorals because I know what I’m getting…. The best customer service, and corals that are disease free and healthy. I started reefing about 20 years ago, the one thing that is missing in the coral game now? Cheaper unanamed corals. I used to be able to buy frags ( mini colonies) cheap from other hobbiest like $5-$10 cheap, even some vendors used to have corals in that price range like Pacific East. I would go to someone’s house and ask what’s that “I don’t know some kind of Monti Cap” and a giant piece would go home in a bag. Nothing was named, well maybe like “Green Slimmer” but not to the extent it is today, and certainly did not have the same impact on the market.

So to answer the question at hand, more stags, more no names, and price tiered coral. Maybe a section for common or “beginner”, or bomb proof, or fast growers.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
disease free and healthy. I started reefing about 20 years ago, the one thing that is missing in the coral game now? Cheaper unanamed corals. I used to be able to buy frags ( mini colonies) cheap from other hobbiest like $5-$10 cheap, even some vendors used to have corals in that price range like Pacific East. I would go to someone’s house and ask what’s that “I don’t know some kind of Monti Cap” and a giant piece would go home in a bag. Nothing was named, well maybe like “Green Slimmer” but not to the extent it is today, and certainly did not have the same impact on the market.

I will be honest. When I am looking to buy online, I am not looking for the cheap corals. It's usually those special ones that I can't find locally.
Cheaper corals tend to be ones that grow fast and can be easily found with locals usually for cheap or free. I also understand that not everyone is close to an LFS or hobbyist, but I just can't justify paying $50 shipping for $10 frags.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest. When I am looking to buy online, I am not looking for the cheap corals. It's usually those special ones that I can't find locally.
Cheaper corals tend to be ones that grow fast and can be easily found with locals usually for cheap or free. I also understand that not everyone is close to an LFS or hobbyist, but I just can't justify paying $50 shipping for $10 frags.
Agreed! Here in Maine there is not much of a community currently albeit it is changing. And there are 4 reputable LFS in the entire state. I personally would buy $100 worth of corals and pay shipping no problem! I pay that in gas to go back and forth to the LFS.

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no namers and oddballs. I personally love an acro that isn’t all over the web. We Just moved and trying to get stability in the tank back, it’s been all over the place and driving me crazy! Will order another battlebox in a few weeks, maybe sooner, but Names, no names, tennis, milli, stags, tables or smooth skins, it doesn’t matter, they’re all awesome in their own ways, as long as you have the ability to let it thrive!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for a beginner section. As a compete new reefer, I would love to try everything I'm attracted to, but most are too expensive to "try".

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was telling a mutual friend recently that any BC frag I have ever threw in my system colored up quickly
Do you have a Spainbow? That little fella is a slow grower (for me) and hasn't really gained color yet. It's relatively new at 4 months. A Fire Engine on the other hand is growing nicely and has good color.

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a Spainbow? That little fella is a slow grower (for me) and hasn't really gained color yet. It's relatively new at 4 months. A Fire Engine on the other hand is growing nicely and has good color.
I don't have that one. I know a couple of locals with one though. Hopefully yours gets going soon!

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love everything you already offer. I think your selection is amazing. If there was one thing that would make me like the site even more would be a WYSIWG section.
I think I like that there isn’t a WYSIWYG section. Many vendors associate price to size and I feel like the surprise of not know what the frag looks like is what makes ordering from @Battlecorals so unique in a marketplace that is filled with tiny frags.

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) smoothies and 2) different stuff (not sure if you consider that oddballs or no namers). I always ask for Adam to pick the corals but make it different. Although I am smoothie mode I like different, shapes, colors, and growth

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It his isn’t just battle corals, but all vendors.

Id like to see pictures of grown out colonies not just the frag nubs so you can understand the growth of the frag your getting.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back