MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all,

Excited to finally share my upgrade! I’ve been in the hobby for 15 years and have maintained a beautiful 92 bowfront for 9 years. About a year ago, our construction crew killed the power to our house for 3 days over a holiday weekend while we were on vacation, and I lost all my fish, every SPS and nearly every softie. I’ve been letting my tank limp along for a bit over a year now, and finally taking the plunge with a post construction build!

Kit:
Red Sea Reefer 425XL (white)
Apex EL kit, WXM module
Reef Octopus regal 150SSS varios (apex ready)
Neptune COR-20 return pump
3 (!!!) Radion XR30 G4 Pros, tank mount, diffusers

Based on my last tank, I’ve had success keeping a fairly stable low nutrient system, so I’m deciding not to hard plumb the sump yet. I have a couple of media reactors that I’ve run as needed, so I don’t (hope) expect to need to have in-line needs. If that changes, I’ll upgrade as needed.

I’ve bleached almost all of my rock and it’s been in SW for months. I’m planning to cut and shape an aqua scape and will share as I kick off the process.

I would love to build something as cool as @Broadfield did for his electronics panel! Not sure if it’s something I can do, or maybe I can contact him and beg him to design something for me. Praying

Anyway, here is a pic just as we finished the initial assembly!

292D8F4D-76FA-488E-8617-B05560BDCE13.jpeg

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, while doing research, I saw a few 48” tanks with 2 Radions and always came away wishing the coverage was just a tad better. I was on fence between LEDs and the Giesemann Spectra MH fixture. I figured I’d try 3 Radions, diffused to reduce the disco effect and tune them around 30-40%, came away pretty impressed with the coverage.

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Watered last night and added Dr. Tim’s ,.. now the 2.5 day day wait to rev up the skimmer! I have a temporary pump in there until the WAVs get here and I clean the Gyers from my old tank.

Still need to find a solution for the apex modules, wires, and dosing setup. I have an Aquamedic evo 4 that will get setup in there.

B25842B6-FDF6-48A3-955E-039929B46D39.jpeg

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
My sump takes up most of the space under the tank. I got a tall white thin cabinet and put it directly next to it. It holds all my apex stuff which I have a ton of apex stuff. I put my ato container in the bottom half and did a couple 45 degree shelves to hold all the apex stuff. It actually turned out Way better then I thought

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
My sump takes up most of the space under the tank. I got a tall white thin cabinet and put it directly next to it. It holds all my apex stuff which I have a ton of apex stuff. I put my ato container in the bottom half and did a couple 45 degree shelves to hold all the apex stuff. It actually turned out Way better then I thought
That’s an awesome idea! I’ll measure to see what kind of room I have and see what I can find online for a shelf. Do you have a pic of your setup that I can visualize?

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
WAVs are in on he back wall and they were blowing sand all over, so I had to tune them down to about 28%. That is, until the Gyres went in. These guys went on the sides. The turbulence was awesome, but alas, the sand tornadoes were back. I toyed with them both (Gyers down to 20%) and was a little better, but lots of sand still moving- I had multiple mountains and bare bottom glass areas. I searched around for a hack, and found the Vivid Creations return line dual splitter for the Reefer XLs, which I ordered. It’s installed and after fidgeting with the angles of the loc-lines I think I solved it. Good surface movement, but nothing getting kicked up, and after a few hours, noticeably less sediment in the water!

I’m going to try to kick up the WAVs a few percent and see if it sticks.

Technically im at Day 6 and will do my first 5% water change tomorrow. BTW, I’m using the Red Sea mature pro kit and so far my tank is below the nutrient values they say I should be seeing. Supposed to be @ 36 nitrate, but I’m logging 10ppm. It’s all good though.

My skimmer has been pulling some nice tan skimmate and looks to be working as designed after a short one-day break in.

#reefer425xl
#reefoctopus #regal150s

40B63EFE-4308-469E-BE77-90AD1BF31329.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to the RSR 425xl club! Great Tank looking forward to your build. I only have two XR30pro on mine....three!! wow that's some serious par!!
I have a RSR 425 as well, about 3 months old, but currently running only 2 XR 15 Pros. I considered doing 2 XR30s or running 3 Xr 15s at higher intensity to more evenly space light, and chose the latter. I'm hoping, down the road, I didn't make a mistake!

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, while doing research, I saw a few 48” tanks with 2 Radions and always came away wishing the coverage was just a tad better. I was on fence between LEDs and the Giesemann Spectra MH fixture. I figured I’d try 3 Radions, diffused to reduce the disco effect and tune them around 30-40%, came away pretty impressed with the coverage.
I'll be curious to see your PAR readings once you get everything going well. I love my RSR 425xl! I have the same problem with the return, always blowing the sand, and its on my to do list.

If you have an Apex, I would seriously consider figuring a way to add the ATK and a DOS for automatic water changes if you haven't already. I set mine up for 1.5 gal a nite or 10.5 gal/wk from the beginning to keep things really stable. Its been a game changer from my old bucket carrying and spilling ways. Plus my wife is happier.

What do you have/ are you thinking for fish in the future?

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
F2C3C705-D184-45C9-890A-1C962D119799.jpeg
This is what I have for PAR. Note that these are diffused and I’ve highlighted the sweet spots where my SPS will live. The lights are roughly 8 1/2” from water line and the top of the rock work is just about 14 3/8” down from that.

As far as fish, I’m going Tang heavy with this set up, and planning to add this Saturday if tank continues it’s progress. I’ll add some carnivores later, but likely after some of my softies get transferred in over the next few weeks.

Tanks has been cooking for eight days, and I’ve got 0 algae blooming (anything) so far....and I’m blasting it with a full 12 hour light period. Ramping up and down 1 hour on each end.

Skimmer is nice and active. No ammonia, under 10 No3, and .03 Po4.

Corals.com
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a RSR 425 as well, about 3 months old, but currently running only 2 XR 15 Pros. I considered doing 2 XR30s or running 3 Xr 15s at higher intensity to more evenly space light, and chose the latter. I'm hoping, down the road, I didn't make a mistake!
One thing that would interest me is seeing the numbers on running 2 xr30 pros with one 15 in the middle. Might be a good comprise!

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Short on time and long on wife complaining about my tangle of wires and modules.

I bout a cheap ($15) shelf kit off Amazon and used a spare shelf from an IKEA kit we had lying around. The power bricks all fit on the two shelves with enough room for two of the Neptune energy bars with nothing stacked so heat shouldn’t be be an issue.

Not a bad basic solution. I still need to wire tie a few loose ends and make a bigger hole for the skimmer and Cor wires. And I need to mount the Gyre a little differently.

I clipped the shelf to 25” (came as 31” high) so doser will fit on the top shelf. The Red Sea Cal, Alk, and Mag bottles will fit on the right side.

The cabinet doors are going on soon.

0B80C8DD-00F0-484A-95A9-199A144D72DB.jpeg

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
F2C3C705-D184-45C9-890A-1C962D119799.jpeg
This is what I have for PAR. Note that these are diffused and I’ve highlighted the sweet spots where my SPS will live. The lights are roughly 8 1/2” from water line and the top of the rock work is just about 14 3/8” down from that.

As far as fish, I’m going Tang heavy with this set up, and planning to add this Saturday if tank continues it’s progress. I’ll add some carnivores later, but likely after some of my softies get transferred in over the next few weeks.

Tanks has been cooking for eight days, and I’ve got 0 algae blooming (anything) so far....and I’m blasting it with a full 12 hour light period. Ramping up and down 1 hour on each end.

Skimmer is nice and active. No ammonia, under 10 No3, and .03 Po4.
nice work! those are huge numbers!

OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Nice Idea.... I may go with a XR 30 in the middle actually... jury is still out...
I dunno... three lights on the 425xl sure seems very natural. You could do what Cdavmd did and put two in a T5 fixture. That is pretty cool and something I didn’t think of until I settled my brain and my will on three XR30s.

When you feed your fish do you feel like your feeding the algae as well?

• Yes I feel I'm feeding too much

Votes: 132 30.5%
  • Yes but not much

Votes: 171 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors