SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work so far! Thanks for posting the PAR numbers. I have two XR30 Pro G4's on my Reefer XL 425 and love them.

If you need any inspiration or additional ideas for your setup, take a look at my Reefer XL 425 build thread. I've done a ton of automation with my Apex. I'm also authoring the weekly Apex Tutorial article series every Friday here on R2R.

Looking forward to seeing this tank come together.

OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mike, whats your filter sock/cup setup look like? I have the same tank/sump and was trying to figure out how to configure it.

Thanks
@ROB_310 : mine are not yet in- I’m still cycling and decided not to have them in just yet. That said, I plan on running the filter socks first then the cups. In other words, if you’re facing the sump and looking in, the sock will be to the right of the cup/media basket so the sock has first contact with water.

OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work so far! Thanks for posting the PAR numbers. I have two XR30 Pro G4's on my Reefer XL 425 and love them.

If you need any inspiration or additional ideas for your setup, take a look at my Reefer XL 425 build thread. I've done a ton of automation with my Apex. I'm also authoring the weekly Apex Tutorial article series every Friday here on R2R.

Looking forward to seeing this tank come together.
I followed your build along for a while- I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciated the work you put in! Between you and a few others sharing their Reefer builds, I ultimately pulled the trigger on my own.

The thing I wasn’t looking forward to was figuring out a solution for a refugium, but when I finally got to ordering mine, Red Sea had already redesigned the 425 sump to become refugium ready like the 525xl.

P.S.— I love the Apex series and have learned a bunch from the posts. Thanks for your dedication to keeping us educated!

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ROB_310 : mine are not yet in- I’m still cycling and decided not to have them in just yet. That said, I plan on running the filter socks first then the cups. In other words, if you’re facing the sump and looking in, the sock will be to the right of the cup/media basket so the sock has first contact with water.

Got it. Im going to start the cycle soon. Im looking at filter floss and or media for the cups now...

Thanks!

OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good plan. If you’re not running a reactor, the cups will give you the opportunity to put media bags in, etc. I have a reactor that I plan to use as needed- and it’ll fit right beside my skimmer....thats one reason I decided not to hard plumb the sump. The other reason is that with Red Sea’s redesign of the sump, the configuration seemed too cramped for anything I came up with while trying to leave the top-off tank in there.

Mr bigolsworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do me a favor and measure the width of the dry storage area. Trying to plan my build and can’t find the size on the dry side.

Hi all,

Excited to finally share my upgrade! I’ve been in the hobby for 15 years and have maintained a beautiful 92 bowfront for 9 years. About a year ago, our construction crew killed the power to our house for 3 days over a holiday weekend while we were on vacation, and I lost all my fish, every SPS and nearly every softie. I’ve been letting my tank limp along for a bit over a year now, and finally taking the plunge with a post construction build!

Kit:
Red Sea Reefer 425XL (white)
Apex EL kit, WXM module
Reef Octopus regal 150SSS varios (apex ready)
Neptune COR-20 return pump
3 (!!!) Radion XR30 G4 Pros, tank mount, diffusers

Based on my last tank, I’ve had success keeping a fairly stable low nutrient system, so I’m deciding not to hard plumb the sump yet. I have a couple of media reactors that I’ve run as needed, so I don’t (hope) expect to need to have in-line needs. If that changes, I’ll upgrade as needed.

I’ve bleached almost all of my rock and it’s been in SW for months. I’m planning to cut and shape an aqua scape and will share as I kick off the process.

I would love to build something as cool as @Broadfield did for his electronics panel! Not sure if it’s something I can do, or maybe I can contact him and beg him to design something for me. Praying

Anyway, here is a pic just as we finished the initial assembly!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back