Battling Prorocentrum

cdstanley0123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
19
Location
united kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m having a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

My tank is 5 months old, due to a less than desirable phosphate test kit, I’ve been running phosphates at zero for most of that time. 6 weeks ago I developed the dreaded Dinos (prorocentrum, to be exact)

I started heavily dosing phosphates for a month and testing every morning, I’ve had detectable phosphates on the test kit for the past week or so.

I’m now dosing water glass to start a diatom bloom and hopefully win my dino battles

I have a number of corals including Zoas, discosoma mushrooms, GSP, a few torches and a octospawn. The corals seem to be doing fine, excluding one zoa frag that was originally on the sandbed that hasn’t opened for number of weeks.

The big question is do I vacuum the sandbed? Or let the tank get really ugly and wait for the diatoms to take over from the silicate dosing?

I’ve read mixed reviews.

Parameters are;

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-15 (was around 30, but over the course of a month with water changes it’s reduced)
phosphate 0.03 (dosing every day to increase by the same amount, but was bottomed out for a number of months)
Magnesium 1340
Calcium 380

I have a 20g cube, I’m not running a skimmer, i have 2 small clowns, 6 cerith snails, 4 nas and 2 turbos.

I’m dosing Microbacter 7 daily and water glass every day too.

I know this may be a long battle, but I’m starting to give up hope of getting my tank back to normal.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
 
I had a similar fight with Prorocentrum that was infesting my rocks and sand bed a couple years ago. I was able to baste it off the rocks easily and vacuum it through a 1 micron sock. After doing that for a few weeks and keeping my nutrients above 0 it was relegated to just the sand bed. I used the UV sweeper that a lot of folks do (do some searches on here and you will find more specific instructions) and it worked great. It's not a permanent solution but it allows you to selectively kill sand bed based dinos. A few weeks of using this and keeping nutrients in check turned the tide for me.

https://3dreefing.com/products/sand-bed-uv-sweeper
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new