Battling the ugly stage

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Started a sps dominated tank 4 mths ago, and recently all sorts of algae started blooming. Sands and rocks fully covered. I can c diatom, hair algae, bubble algae and cyano. Are the rest dino. I’m running 2 55 watts uv 1 from sump and 1 from display, will b adding ozone later this week. Po4 currently at 0.1 and no3 at 1.1. Should I just leave it to run its course or do something bout it?

Btw I did dose hydrogen peroxide for a week to battle ich but decided to stop when it spike my alk too high
IMG_4899.jpeg
IMG_4897.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Started a sps dominated tank 4 mths ago, and recently all sorts of algae started blooming. Sands and rocks fully covered. I can c diatom, hair algae, bubble algae and cyano. Are the rest dino. I’m running 2 55 watts uv 1 from sump and 1 from display, will b adding ozone later this week. Po4 currently at 0.1 and no3 at 1.1. Should I just leave it to run its course or do something bout it?

Btw I did dose hydrogen peroxide for a week to battle ich but decided to stop when it spike my alk too high
IMG_4899.jpeg
IMG_4897.jpeg
This is where the elbow grease part of the hobby comes in.

Ugly stages are par for the course, when people say let it run it's course, that includes manually removing as much as possible until the tank stabilises.

I'd normally wait until the uglies have finished before adding any sensitive coral.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of CUC do you have?
CUC + manual labor + routine water changes + time, should get you there.
Currently have like 20 turbo snails. 3 hermits and 2 dollabella sea hare. Have like 20 sps colonies now. So far still healthy

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4899.jpeg
IMG_4897.jpeg
You can’t really Avoid the ugly stage. You will have to let it do its thing and within a few weeks it will start to go away. You could vacuum the sand if you want.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 embrace it. You will always have an "ugly" in your tank. When you get rid of one, it gives rise to the next one. Seriously. Just minimize it and give it time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back