Bayer coral dip question

Parasite1971

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that use Bayer to dip your corals. What ratio do you use? I have seen 1 oz to 1 cup of tank water but just want to be sure. Also how long?

Thank you and happy reefing!

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10:1 sounds about right. 5 to 7 mins for me

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think folks use too much Bayer for dipping. They get away with this because it is gentle on the corals and even though it's at high doses, doesn't negatively impact the corals.

The original dosing video that was done with Bayer was 0.8 mls per 100 mls of tank water. To simplify, I do 1 ml per 100 mls, and typically make up 300 mls for doing a couple frags.

I dip for 15-20 minutes, with occasional agitation. Here's the important thing...you need to thoroughly rinse so you don't introduce the dip into your tank. This is two, 15 minute rinses with tank water, discarding after each rinse.

If interested, I did a survey a number of years ago, and HERE's the summary of what folks are dosing.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think folks use too much Bayer for dipping. They get away with this because it is gentle on the corals and even though it's at high doses, doesn't negatively impact the corals.

The original dosing video that was done with Bayer was 0.8 mls per 100 mls of tank water. To simplify, I do 1 ml per 100 mls, and typically make up 300 mls for doing a couple frags.

I dip for 15-20 minutes, with occasional agitation. Here's the important thing...you need to thoroughly rinse so you don't introduce the dip into your tank. This is two, 15 minute rinses with tank water, discarding after each rinse.

If interested, I did a survey a number of years ago, and HERE's the summary of what folks are dosing.

What exactly do you mean by rinses? After dipping I always dip them in tank water, then pour different tank water over the frag. Not for 15 mins though.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you mean by rinses? After dipping I always dip them in tank water, then pour different tank water over the frag. Not for 15 mins though.

Once it's done in the dip, I'll put the frag(s) in another cup with a couple 100 mls of tank water and occasionally swirl for about 15 minutes or so. I then repeat this for a total of two rinses.

Again, you don't want any residual dip to get into you tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 85 42.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 48.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back