BC C.S.Q (customer service query)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Honestly, just interested in hearing some real-world thoughts on what you guys feel constitutes good customer service. does not have to limited to this hobby either.

As well the flip-side, what are some of the things that companies do that suck in this department. Not looking for pats on the back, or indulgences at all. Just opening up a discussion on this subject.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A company’s reputation is made on how they treat the customer AFTER the sale is made not before. People will tell you just about anything to get your money then as soon as they have it you never hear from them again.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s good/prompt communication.
Courteous and professional regardless of the situation.
Has their policies clearly posted.
For me the longer/more lenient the return policy, the better (i.e. an industry leading return policy)
Having a free shipping threshold is nice

For this industry, the 2 hour DOA is a bit ridiculous, but, I understand the economics between it.
Also, I can’t stand the store credit, but an actual refund on DOA’s would be a nice standard to see, again I see the business aspect but just thinking a customer oriented approach.

Not this industry:

Paying for grocery bags at a store that I expect to give them for free. Some stores are literally built around the “you pay for everything” aspect (Aldi, Trader Joe’s, Lidl, etc.) which I am fine with but several in my area that I have shopped at for years, you never paid for bags, but now they’re charging for them. Seriously just build it into your inventory price.

Just thoughts.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prompt responses is one of the keys to customer service to me.

I had an issue with my Trident and the only way I could get Neptune Systems to respond was through email. So I had an entire conversation with a customer service person with only getting one reply a day. A conversation that would’ve taken 5 minutes on the phone or through chat took about a week.
Nothing infuriates me more than not getting replies. I also deal with the same thing at work (not aquarium related) so I am passionate about the issue, LOL.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost is a timely response, as in same or next business day. Even if it's just to acknowledge the correspondence and to buy a bit more response time, at least I know the message was received.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly keep a list of everyone i've bought coral from sorted as best, good, meh, haven't tried and avoid... with my thoughts as well as what good/bad things i've heard - for BC you're in the Best Category and in my notes i have "Great Customer Service" as just one of the good things...

Good Service to me makes me feel like i'm your most important customer at the moment... or that you're taking the time and effort to go out of your way for me... it's basically value added to the money transaction that has or will occur... my favorite places in the hobby do this and i keep coming back cause i'm really getting my money's worth... even if it's the small things like an unsolicited DM on a forum with some advice :winking-face:.

Also honesty and as much transparent info as possible - coral is tricky with colors in different lighting par/spectrum and parameters and colony vs frag... i think most of us understand the frag won't look like a colony - but when we buy something it's because we like what we see... if i want to replicate that it's nice to know how it was raised... ask 3 different people what medium light is and you'll get at least 3 different answers... tell someone it's kept in 250-300 par and it's a fast grower in your system - that i can work with... if i ask about a frag (hey do you have any of this available) - "not now but possibly in 4 months" or "not in foreseeable future cause colony isn't doing well/ slower grower, or lost the colony" is a better answer than just no or not now...

if i know i'm ordering a 1/2" - 3/4" frag that's not wysiwyg it better be at least that... some of the camera angles on wysiwyg are deceptive also hiding issues, pests, blemishes, or making things bigger than they seem etc... Worked out a deal with a vendor for a few additional frags once and thought i was getting a good deal on a package but ended up just getting the smallest frags possible (healthy though)...first time i ordered from them and won't be doing it again anytime soon - they're in the meh category, basically ok to buy from but little to no added value... if you consistantly give me more value for my money i'll consistantly be back....

#1 thing that annoys me though is being given the run around/ non answer or ignored... i get it a lot with inattentive companies who don't seem to have their act together.

example: had overnight fedex package get delayed friday at the local hub (got notification on tracking for delay and that would be delivered on monday) and wanted to pick it up... first call to CS guy calls hub they tell him they held the truck already and i'd have by noon... he relays this to me and fantastic... afternoon nothing changed with tracking i called again and CS just read me everything i already knew on tracking... they didn't check with hub to see if still there or anything.. i asked if i coudl pick it up and they said yes... so i went to hub. i did get it but also foudn out they were planning to deliver later in day... which could have saved me a trip. I didn't mind picking it up at all... but it really just seemed like they didn't have their act together at all... i've also had to call them in past about their drivers just leaving packages in mud and rain without a bag covering it or anything... multiple times i was told "we'll address it"... they never did and i was calling a couple times a week with number of packages i was getting...

Also for non-answers in daily life - If i ask multiple questions in an e-mail i expect mulitple answers or at least acknowledgement of "I don't know" or whatever in response... i hate having to follow up when only 1 of my 2 or 3 questions gets answered and the others ignored... i get people are busy but that's why i try to include all my questions in the e-mail so that we don't have to go back and forth multiple times... just take the time to read and understand my question... if i repeat or ask in a slightly different way you're not hearing what i'm saying... after 2 or 3 times of that i give up....

I guess to sum it up... communication and value is key... I think BC does both those pretty well...

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love if you could have a restock email notification for some of your corals!
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

and a wishlist would be nice also - not sure if you could see those but might help give indication of what may be 'in demand'

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer service
Customer service
Customer service

Thats biggest thing for me, knowing that if I make a purchase and im not happy with it that its not a big to return.

Phone/online support in this country ! and being able to easily find the info to contact someone.

If we are talking about this industry that has been trial and error of the years and has changed from amazing to poor as ownerships have changed hands. Now im limited to only 3 people/company's (Battle being one of course) I buy from. But it still comes down to customer service every time.

If you get great service you'll tell one or two people,,, if you get bad you'll tell 10 as the saying goes.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others have said, communication.

outside the coral trade, tech support or product help is important. I have a 3d printer and replaced the hot end. neither the company nor the internet in general can seem to help me fix issues I am now having. In fact, I have no costumer service number for either the machine or the part. No manual, no problem and fix chart, I'm left fumbling in the dark.

also I will echo returned money is more valuable to me than replacements on the next order or store credit. Sure, everyone knows I'll be back. But when? and whose job is it to remember the debt?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listing a physical address on the website to anticipate shipping distances and times for live items that have to survive a box trip. Sites without a physical address drive me crazy. It shouldn't be a secret since the package may have a return label?

Answer the phone. Sure, this is old fashioned since we all have Blackberries and scuba snorkels now. But sending a text doesn't typically provide customer service like a good old fashioned answering service did/does. At least during business hours in the CONUS.

For modern comms, the shipping notices (anticipated ship out reminder, ship out notification all with anticipated arrival dates) so that if life happens, or a big fing storm blows out of CNN's control, death in the family, whaterver BOTH ends of the shipment are aware of what is happening and potentially either can put on the breaks so that it works properly for all.

Most important: Send me a free frag. I give you all this valuable information, I would like a free frag in every box to commemorate the occasion? Otherwise, thanks for thinking about how you can make the shipping world a better place for coral and customers.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
lots of good points. thanks for all the engagement! I will echo what most of you have said and agree that communication really is up there. especially for a first time customer. Knowing that someone on the other end gave enough of a crap to either follow up or simply reach out can go a long way with me as well.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add, when receiving free frags and even the ones you ordered, there should be a care sheet advising lighting and flow preferences for said corals in the box. It could be just ONE sheet of paper with all coral care listed.

I have received frags and wasn’t even told what they are, so I can’t even look them up myself.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add, when receiving free frags and even the ones you ordered, there should be a care sheet advising lighting and flow preferences for said corals in the box. It could be just ONE sheet of paper with all coral care listed.

I have received frags and wasn’t even told what they are, so I can’t even look them up myself.
You would love Battlecoral's packaging then!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all business owners: Don't let the "bad apple" customers cause you to compromise your ethics. Instead focus on those you depend on for your livelihood. There will always be someone who is unhappy, you don't have to make everyone else the same way.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with most on here.

Customer Service, and knowing that I can trust who I'm buying from. Especially if it's a product or service that I will keep going back to time after time, I want to be able to trust in the product.

Cost: Price is important, but I'm always willing to pay a few extra dollars for a superior product and top notch customer service, then a low-ball price, but quality and service will suffer.

Engagement: In todays day and age, depending on the industry I know phone calls aren't always an option. So if you're active on either a forum, instagram, or email, prompt responses to messages is important.

In regards to the coral game, I"ve gotten 2 shipments from you in the past Adam, and you knock it out of the park every time! The quality of your frags is truly something you should be proud of. I have received corals from other vendors that the frag looks like it's going to be a substantial size, and then you get it, and it's the size of a tic-tac! Your frags are always healthy, and large...the blue tort frag I just got from you was bigger than my thumb...and I've got big hands!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back