Be super careful of ATS being too efficient. My two-year battle.

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my newbie errors with my Clearwater Scrubber (CW-50) but this experience and summary should apply to any algae scrubber. I currently have a 2-year-old 65G mixed reef using BRS 2 part for major element replacement. I installed a continuous water change system replacing 1.5 gallons per day. I have never had great coral growth, very little polyp extension, high PO4 (>.15) and low nitrate (<1ppm)

I have learned so much over the past 2 years but I finally have figured it out. When I first purchased the scrubber I assumed the ATS would be "plug and play" but I did not consider the chemistry of algae growth and how efficient scrubbers are in removing nutrients. I was wrong in most assumptions.

Newbie assumptions that were 100% wrong:

1. 1.5 gallons per day (11% weekly) replacement (TM PRO) would replace replenish minor/trace elements and supplementing with hand dosing trace elements would be successful.
-According to ICP, I always have ~zero trace elements in the water so matter how much I hand-dosed trace elements.
2. Having <1-2 PPM nitrate was enough to feed the algae scrubber.
-I tried to increase feeding but it only compounded the problem. PO4 went through the roof while nitrate stayed <1ppm.
3. Running the ATS 24 hours a day, would remove more PO4.
-It made the situation worse because the extra light cycle further stripped the water of any nutrients/trace elements.
4. Dosing trace elements once in a while (twice per week) would be enough to keep up.
-Tried numerous products. Looking back, the ATS was stripping everything I dosed by hand leaving the coral with no trace elements.

Summary/Conclusion:

1. My water has been stripped of trace elements by the ATS ever since I installed it. Additionally, I did not realize the ATS requires the proper nitrate/phosphate ratio to effectively remove PO4 to a level of .04-.06. In my experiments, to properly keep PO4 to .05 levels, nitrate needs to be around 5ppm. This requires the dosing of 10ml of NeoNitrate daily to maintain levels at 5ppm. Without the proper NO3 levels, the ATS was not efficient in keeping PO4 at proper levels.

2. Trace elements should be dosed in the 2 part!! Especially if you have an ATS. I watched Ryan's BRS Hybrid Balling Method and added Tropic Marin A-/K+ to the 2 part and BOOM, my growth exploded. My alkalinity consumption went up 30% over a two week period once I started dosing Tropic Marin. I was starving the corals!! I wish I figured this out 2 years ago. The BRS video really saved my reef tank. I was on the verge of quitting!!

I am hoping to help someone else who may not understand the fundamentals and pitfalls of growing algae with an ATS.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Other users results may vary...

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running algae scrubbers for over 5 years without problems. I just adjust the light cycle on the scrubber for more or less nutrients removal. I dose red sea trace elements and run a calcium reactor and also a large skimmer. No problem here stripping too much. Algae scrubber is a Turbo aquatic L2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back