Beach Bum losing color... light too strong or too weak?

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beach bum sits on the side of the tank and gets about 140 par. Running T5 + Kessil A360X.

JF Beach Bum.jpg

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried giving it that recommended PAR of 50-100?

I slowly increased par after taking new measurements when I switched out some bulbs. I can't remember what the par was before but the monti seems to have lightened in color a bit and is showing a little more purple around the edges. I don't know whether that had more to do with par or difference in spectrum though.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once you’ve given your monti a sunburn, it will take a very long time to recover. As others have said put it in a semi shady spot and it will start growing again. Sometimes the burned areas don’t recover and the coral will grow around them. It really depends on it. You’ll have to be very patient. This isn‘t a beach bum, but it’s a Kung pow and they’re very similar. It sits just inside a cave where it is semi shady (my tank is extremely bright) and it flourishes. FWIW it started off as a frag about the size of yours.
951E55F5-587A-4C16-BC10-BFA70B4F809D.jpeg

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slowly increased par after taking new measurements when I switched out some bulbs. I can't remember what the par was before but the monti seems to have lightened in color a bit and is showing a little more purple around the edges. I don't know whether that had more to do with par or difference in spectrum though.
It's interesting, I've heard of beach bums turning more white as a result of higher light?

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once you’ve given your monti a sunburn, it will take a very long time to recover. As others have said put it in a semi shady spot and it will start growing again. Sometimes the burned areas don’t recover and the coral will grow around them. It really depends on it. You’ll have to be very patient. This isn‘t a beach bum, but it’s a Kung pow and they’re very similar. It sits just inside a cave where it is semi shady (my tank is extremely bright) and it flourishes. FWIW it started off as a frag about the size of yours.
951E55F5-587A-4C16-BC10-BFA70B4F809D.jpeg
Wow!!!! That's breathtaking!
Why do fish always have to photobomb haha
That's interesting how it's plated out... I didn't know palawanensis would grow like that, just capricornis?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did , everybody would throw away their useless crap that causes the tanks to fail , the industry dont want that ......
Bonus points if anybody can guess what the crazy red monti started as ?? Ive colored it up into a whole new thing.
Setosa

And I agree on the keep it simple. Lots of problems using all the bs phosban this gfo that! Its all garbage!!!

Regular water changes, grow caulerpa and harvest it in large amounts. Ca rx and done!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'd recomend 100 - 150 par, thats where mine is best. I have some frags in lower light about 80 par and it tends to get brown looking like that. Same system same water params.

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Jason Fox, and he told me that he recommends 50-100 par for this monti. What makes you say 150? And what makes you say 15k 6 hours a day?

My nutrients definitely are not in check. .05 Phos and swinging nitrates. I hope to get a mini refugium to help me out. dKh is around 9, mag is about 1470, and calc is about 460.

Lighting schedule is an AI Prime 12 hours a day. From 8 to 8:30a it ramps up from lights off. 8:30 to 7:30 it's 60%(UV and Violet), 90% (Royal Blue and Blue), 5%(Red and Green), 20%(Cool White). At 7:30, light is ramped to zero reds, greens, and whites. Actinic time! From 8:30pm to 9pm it ramps down to lights off. Currently I do have this on acclimation mode for 3 weeks from 50% intensity. Tank is about 8 months old. Dosing 1mL brighwell CoralAmino per day every morning.
Hi. Literally talked to Jason Fox? Straight from the horses mouth. Good to know

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back