Too much or Too Less Light?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting conflicting feedback from other reefers - if a coral starts to lose its colors (going pale/turning whitish), I was told that the light intensity is too high, while others have said it's because there's not enough light. I'm truly confused and so which is it, and can it really be both? If it is, how can one know whether the coral has too much light or too less?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to a brownish colour in my experience is due to low light. I've put some colourful corals under a plant light and they all turn pale brown.

In high light, the coral will die (turn white) very quickly, in a day or two. I have halides and have killed many corals with my light.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to a brownish colour in my experience is due to low light. I've put some colourful corals under a plant light and they all turn pale brown.

In high light, the coral will die (turn white) very quickly, in a day or two. I have halides and have killed many corals with my light.
Thanks - is the observation you posted applies to all types of corals?

I'm surprised that a coral can die that quickly if too much light - 1 or 2 days. I'm assuming it's because the light is at 100% versus increasing in small increments?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - is the observation you posted applies to all types of corals?

I'm surprised that a coral can die that quickly if too much light - 1 or 2 days. I'm assuming it's because the light is at 100% versus increasing in small increments?
I can only confirm I've browned out soft corals - several types of leathers and pally's and gsp.

My hallides are not dimmable so yes they are always at full strength. If corals come from a dim tank they will fry in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back