Too much flow??

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question here. Got this setup secondhand a few weeks ago (AIO 8 gallon) with a hygger mini wave maker. 2 clowns and a few hermits are all that are in the tank. It’s fully cycled and not stocked with anything else. Hoping to do a mainly Macroalgae/soft coral or LPS setup. Im letting the tank sit without the lights on and dosing copepods on Wednesday to hopefully help deal with the diatoms/detritus that came with the setup.

I’m a bit new to saltwater setups and confused as to how much flow is “too much.” My poor clowns look like they’re fighting against the current and get blown around if they aren’t swimming for their lives or hiding in between the rock work. I’m used to freshwater so to me this looks like WAY too much! However maybe I’m totally wrong and this is normal for clown and marine setups??

Hoping to gain some insight! Thanks for looking. Video below.

Flow Video (YouTube)

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not 'too much' per se.
your call. if you did nothing, it should be fine.
my sense is it could be less and be fine too.
with that pump, is it just one speed all the time?
if you can adjust it down, that would be fine and you could see how they respond.
if you can't adjust the pump speed, you can try to redirect the flow (possibly up?) to have the effect of reducing flow.

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the flow looks good. Youd have a samd storm if it was too much flow.
Thanks! I appreciate it. Yeah no sand blowing around, though the clowns do like to scoot it around and make little cavities in the sand. Especially the female. Funny little creatures.

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not 'too much' per se.
your call. if you did nothing, it should be fine.
my sense is it could be less and be fine too.
with that pump, is it just one speed all the time?
if you can adjust it down, that would be fine and you could see how they respond.
if you can't adjust the pump speed, you can try to redirect the flow (possibly up?) to have the effect of reducing flow.
Thanks! Maybe I can baffle it somehow because it’s on the lowest speed and doesn’t angle (set position).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flow is not too much at all. Judging from the detritus moving around, the flow in my tank is much more.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Newbie question here. Got this setup secondhand a few weeks ago (AIO 8 gallon) with a hygger mini wave maker. 2 clowns and a few hermits are all that are in the tank. It’s fully cycled and not stocked with anything else. Hoping to do a mainly Macroalgae/soft coral or LPS setup. Im letting the tank sit without the lights on and dosing copepods on Wednesday to hopefully help deal with the diatoms/detritus that came with the setup.

I’m a bit new to saltwater setups and confused as to how much flow is “too much.” My poor clowns look like they’re fighting against the current and get blown around if they aren’t swimming for their lives or hiding in between the rock work. I’m used to freshwater so to me this looks like WAY too much! However maybe I’m totally wrong and this is normal for clown and marine setups??

Hoping to gain some insight! Thanks for looking. Video below.

Flow Video (YouTube)
IMHO - its not too much

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back