Beach clams

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever throw a few of those little beach bivalves in their tank? I forget what they are called, but they live about an inch under the sand on the gulf coast. Cow nosed rays like to eat them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sould be fine I'd do it.
I bought Mexican sea of Cortez oysters at the store and put em in my tanks.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are referring to Coquinas. I researched this subject in the past and everyone said not to do it. They don't live very long in our aquariums.

OP
OP
B

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are referring to Coquinas. I researched this subject in the past and everyone said not to do it. They don't live very long in our aquariums.

Thank you! You brought back the name. I was on the beach in Galveston a couple of days ago and was wondering. I've heard of people pulling critters from rigs or weed lines a few miles out. I was curious about those little guys.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll depend I belive on food availability in the sand.
What else did you find.

OP
OP
B

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll depend I belive on food availability in the sand.
What else did you find.

I didn't find much. I never have found much for those bivalves. Galveston is on the north end of the Texas coast and gets nutrition from the more northern silty rivers. The major estuaries are located in the general area. I'd have to test the water. Actually... I should call Texas A&M Galveston tomorrow. Marine biology is their thing.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put temperate clams in my tank than for any other reason than to feed fish and inverts.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put Quahogs from the NE, Long Island, never had any issues, but they need a high nutrient water tank, their getting their food from the water. They keep your water very crystal, but all stuff dies, then the worms, fish, and crabs take over. A plus in my book, you collected it, even better. I keep mine in my cold water tank, they didn't do well in the reef tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also add quahogs occasionally but as was said, they won't live long in a warm tank. The temperature and lack of food kills them pretty quickly. If you take them out before they die, eat them. :rolleyes:

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Galveston you can find peppermint shrimp, snapping shrimp, lots of blennies and gobies. I have even seen a copperband butterfly that was caught by net. Usually some interesting fish come up late in the summer when the wind dies down and the waves are a bit calmer. We used to call it "blue water time"...but the water wasn't very blue...I also found a sea pansy, but it didn't live long (my bad). Go to the tidal areas and pick up cans and bottles and pour them through a net, you can't tell what you might find. PS Please, dispose of the cans and bottles properly.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I remember these pictures. I thought they were quite creative, but I wouldn't do it. I have enough problems without introduces more. I see you chose the goby and copperband pictures to illustrate.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Galveston you can find peppermint shrimp, snapping shrimp, lots of blennies and gobies. I have even seen a copperband butterfly that was caught by net. Usually some interesting fish come up late in the summer when the wind dies down and the waves are a bit calmer. We used to call it "blue water time"...but the water wasn't very blue...I also found a sea pansy, but it didn't live long (my bad). Go to the tidal areas and pick up cans and bottles and pour them through a net, you can't tell what you might find. PS Please, dispose of the cans and bottles properly.

I think you are mistaken if a copperband butterfly was caught in texas

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will allow you that because it has been a long time (mid-70's). Yes, I am old.
It was odd. I was told that there are times when the more "tropical" fish show up in Galveston. I only saw one and it was in an aquarium with more common bay fish.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a place in St. Lucia, the Pitons, where just off the beach there's unbelievable calcium formations rising from the ocean floor. They look like telephone poles. Unfortunately, up on the cliff lives the local garbage man with the biggest pig you have ever seen. Garbage comes, gets eaten, then burns, the bottles and cans don't burn. The garbage man then pushes everything down the hill, off the cliff, and right on the under water formations. It's the worst dumping I've ever seen on really amazing marvel of nature at its best.
Here on Long Island, many Caribbean fish visit our bays. Angels, tangs, butterflies, and even lion fish. The best place is by any old bridge or pier by a inlet. Shinnacock inlet is by far our best place in August.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dove at the Pitons, great wall dive, except for the pig bones. :eek:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back