Beach sand

Sure can :) Everyone will be like "no, it's silica sand. You want aragonite. Silica based sand will give you algae". But the people who say that have probably never used beach sand and are just recycling info they read elsewhere.
I use it exclusively and have never had an issue that I can blame on the sand.
You just have to wash it really well. Wash it once, wash it again, wash it once more. Then, wash it again. Now that you think it's really clean, one more wash is necessary! I'm not exaggerating either. You really need to wash it that much!
 
Rinse the sand really well before using it.
 
I wouldn't put any sand from a Groton beach in my tank. Maybe something further south like FL.
(I almost moved to Groton recently, Pfizer couldn't offer me the right package.)
 
Last edited:
I don't know about the Northeast, but here in Southern California it is illegal to collect anything from the beach, including the beach itself.
 
It is not illegal in CT to take sand from the beach !!! Do it man I'm just sad you thought of it before I did . Lol
 
If you end up doing it let us know how it turns out. I thought about doing this myself but backed out
 
It completely depends on where the sand comes from. In many places it would be dirty, polluted or too high in certain minerals. You want sand from a beach with carbonate sand, this is the sand that is usually bright white to off white in color, typically tropical. Silica sand is typically not pure silica, in fact you can often tell very nearly the beach sand came from just from analyzing it - this speaks to the inherent risk of just picking up random sand. My sand is know is safe as it came directly from the beach and was almost entirely aragonite based.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new