Bean Animal, are turndowns necissary?

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if anyone has input on why the durso style inlets are used. seems like it would function with just verticle pipe as long as heights were right...

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get a siphon to form? With no turn downs, I would think that it would always be sucking air.

kingston.buck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 90 side ways that's my full siphon with a gate valve and adjusted it so it barely over flowed into the center 90 which tilted just a little, runs dead silent like that if I ran it strait up and down from time to time you could hear it a little. The last 90 is strait up and it's the emergency, couldn't get a good shot with all three the siphon starts as soon as it clears the air out which is stupid fast on the way I have it set up. On restart the emergency usually doesn't even get used
1484505538568.jpeg

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You in essence have the turn down to hold the siphon since you exit the tank then 90 degree down to the sump. Some folks have drain lines drilled into the bottom, so they need the Durso to get the required downturn for siphon

kingston.buck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has his drilled in the bottom and doesn't have any turn downs and it runs fine, if I get a chance I'll take a pic and post it. His full syphon sits 2 in bellow the water line and he runs a modified durso on the open pipe and his emergency is strait also and 1/2 above water line. The full siphon I think has a two 45s to aim it in his sump. I ran my siphon with out the 90 and it ran fine but the strainer didn't fit so I added the 90 so the random snail here and there wouldn't clog the siphon

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vertical pipe will work just fine but you will probably end up sucking air (very noisy) unless you have the main siphon at least 2" below the open channel. It isn't a good design.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elbows are used to pick up the water away from the water surface inside the overflow box. The elbows control the water inlet. This helps to maintain the siphon, and eliminate noise. All this because the DIY/Ghost add-on overflow box is typically very tight, with limited height, (not a full height overflow box/RR tank).

If you have a full height overflow box, bottom drilled tank, you do not need the elbow on the primary siphon. Only if it is positioned far enough away from the water surface at normal operating level. You must position the primary siphon so a vortex can never form and suck air (approx. 6" away). This is exactly how a herbie is set-up with a 2 hole drain, where its a typical bottom drilled RR tank. A BA drain is the same think, except with the addition of a normally dry emergency. The intention of the open channel on the BA, is that if the water gets too high, it too will form a siphon. That's where you might need the elbow.

Back