Cabinet locks

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im putting doors together for the cabinet I just built and Im at a bit of an impasse. I need to be able to securely lock the sump to keep my kids out. Those child lock style things dont really cut it any sort of wiggle in the lock and my 3 year old will figure out a way to jimmy it open. Right now the only real solution that Ive seen would be a two way mortise deadbolt but Im wondering if anyone has used any other style of lock that worked well.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason number 997,555,419 I had a vasectomy lol

At least the kids are interested in your hobbies??

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have magnetic latches on mine. They latch when the door close’s and can only be opened with a magnet. I have five kids and none of them have broken in, but they are pretty well behaved and know it’s off limits.

And you can’t see them!

IMG_7711.jpeg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have magnetic latches on mine. They latch when the door close’s and can only be opened with a magnet. I have five kids and none of them have broken in, but they are pretty well behaved and know it’s off limits.

And you can’t see them!

IMG_7711.jpeg
I had to look them up. Cool.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And you can’t see them!

IMG_7711.jpeg
+1 on this. I’ve seen this only once in a clients home of mine, while i was trying get under his sink to work. Stopped me from getting in

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some thinking about this last night and I am strongly considering mounting a regular door latch up to a stepper motor and wiring it to a push button on the canopy and a 3 AA battery housing.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did some thinking about this last night and I am strongly considering mounting a regular door latch up to a stepper motor and wiring it to a push button on the canopy and a 3 AA battery housing.

So get an electromagnetic latch, wire it to a Kasa plug and you can control with an app or Alexa or whatever. They come in all sizes, here is a 12 volt with 600lb force.

Or for $90 get a full kit with remotes and push button.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back