Bean animal / Gate Valve needed question?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still learning;

In a bean animal style drain; 3 drains (1 primary, 1 secondary, 1 emergency).

The primary is at lowest point in box.
Secondary just at water line.
Emergency above secondary just above water line.

So far so good?

On the primary drain; add a gate valve (for tuning as needed). Add closer to sump??

On emergency; left completely open and unobstructed.

What about the secondary? I don’t think it does need a gate valve; can someone confirm please?

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a valve on both, but purely for isolation purposes.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually not, if your sump can handle backflow amount when the return is turned off.

I like to put union ball valves on the secondary and emergency drains, along with the return lines, in case I ever have to do maintenance on things and want zero water dripping out. Some people don't put any ball valves on their system and run with the sole gate valve on the primary siphon drain. All depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. As well, all fittings add a degree of restriction to the system, or potential turbulence, if that matters.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as placement of the gate on your primary siphon, while it's best closer to the sump, you can put it anywhere it is accessible.

I personally put a gate on the primary, and 2 ball valves on the secondary, and emergency. Only for the reason of shutting them off if I ever need to. Otherwise those ball valves never get used.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my system I have a gate valve on the primary only. It is located just under the overflow box. It is in a convenient place for adjustment. I can see the overflow box and sump while making adjustments. The pipe is clamped to the stand for support. My main and secondary pipes go about 3/4 of an inch under water. I have no issues with the air purging out of the pipe on start up. My emergency does not exit under water. I want to hear splashing noise if something is wrong with my drain system.

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve would be best for fine tuning it on the main drain. The secondary drain does not need any type of valve and you want your gate valve as close to the sump as possible. Also use unions so you can maintenance you plumbing without cutting it. Using unions also helps if you want to change a section of plumbing or even add more equipment.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 8.9%
Back