Gate valve behind the DT or Above sump in basement?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to start my plumbing on my new 150 Lagoon. I put my sump in my basement because I have a bad back and bending down to work on a cramped compartment was too much with my previous tanks. So, being that I would have to run up and down the stair to verify every adjustment; I was thinking of putting the gate valve for the Bean Animal overflow in the basement. above my sump. I figure I could dial it in there and as soon as the Emergency overflow starts to kick in I would be able to adjust it back.
Photos to show better what I mean:
Basement Sump.jpg
Innovative Marine 150 Lagoon.jpg Pipe Bracket.jpg

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a good way to prevent the sound of water falling which can be very loud even through the floor.
Thing is the water splashing out of the overflow is the way I knew I had my returns too high. Now being in the basement I may have to put a camera on the sump to watch it or something.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean you had too much return water for the overflow to handle?

Like you said, with the gate valve at the sump you can have it set to have just a tiny amount always come out of the emergency pipe or just before it goes down the emergency. It will be a little intensive to get right at first. Flow changes over time too as build up in pipes happens and pumps need servicing.

Every system is different and needs adjusting here and there. The siphon will be stronger and the head pressure higher now being in the basement too. So getting adjustments just right may be even harder at first.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I know for sure is once you see that trickle come down the emergency, make the TINIEST adjustment to the valve and wait lol

Small adjustments can make a big GPH difference.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the quietest location. Initially there is some up and down the stairs but eventually you get a feel for how much water should be coming out of your emergency to dial it in.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the quietest location. Initially there is some up and down the stairs but eventually you get a feel for how much water should be coming out of your emergency to dial it in.
so the valve should be in the basement then? All my other tanks the sump was directly under the tank so it was a moot point. With this one being its about 8 foot away and on another floor I wanted to be sure its in the right place.

Thanks

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the valve should be in the basement then? All my other tanks the sump was directly under the tank so it was a moot point. With this one being its about 8 foot away and on another floor I wanted to be sure its in the right place.

Thanks
Yes, the valve should be as close to the sump as possible for easy access while checking flow and quietest operation. The higher the water has to drop from after the valve, the louder.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Yes. You want all mechanicals in the basement sump.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The valve should be in the basement for several reasons. Suffice to say they all add up to the system being quieter, more stable, faster starting and higher (much higher) flow capacity.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back