Bean Animal Plumbing

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to take a pic, but I did the math:
1000 gph flow will net you about 22 seconds per inch below the rim in a 6 foot 150

Pros that I based my decision off of:
1. Less intrusive in my tank.
2. Cleaning/adjusting the fittings is easier on the outside if you need to do so

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see the partial on the left with a short section of air line. Full siphon to the right and emergency is the black one inch, center.

Yes, this is my quietest aquarium even though the pic makes it look like Niagara Falls. The box is smoked; forgot lol.

21eyyde.jpg

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the view from the front:
20161105_144423_zpsv5krpcis.jpg
I think I would recommend opening the valve on the full siphon a bit more. Look at the water level on the secondary line. You're getting quite a bit of flow down it now. In a perfect world, it would not flow anything, and the full siphon would keep siphon without ever draining the box.

For example sake, lets say your return pump is putting 100gph into the tank. You realistically can't get a perfect 100gph full siphon. If it siphons 100.1gph, you eventually will lose siphon and it will start gurgling and lose siphon occasionally. If it siphons 99.9gph, you will wind up running over into the secondary, but full siphon will be maintained in the full siphon line. This would put only .1gph through the secondary, which will ensure you keep full siphon, yet don't get a lot of flow (noise) from the secondary line. Of course your numbers could wind up being that 90% runs through the siphon and 10% runs through the secondary..but you want to minimize the amount going in the secondary line so that it reduces noise.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would recommend opening the valve on the full siphon a bit more. Look at the water level on the secondary line. You're getting quite a bit of flow down it now. In a perfect world, it would not flow anything, and the full siphon would keep siphon without ever draining the box.

For example sake, lets say your return pump is putting 100gph into the tank. You realistically can't get a perfect 100gph full siphon. If it siphons 100.1gph, you eventually will lose siphon and it will start gurgling and lose siphon occasionally. If it siphons 99.9gph, you will wind up running over into the secondary, but full siphon will be maintained in the full siphon line. This would put only .1gph through the secondary, which will ensure you keep full siphon, yet don't get a lot of flow (noise) from the secondary line. Of course your numbers could wind up being that 90% runs through the siphon and 10% runs through the secondary..but you want to minimize the amount going in the secondary line so that it reduces noise.

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand how it all works, I only have a ball valve on the drain and had issues getting tuned any more open (couldn't get a gate valve where I am). But it is seriously 100% silent, when I first set it up I would worry that it wasn't running because it's so quiet and would keep walking over to check :p.

I think the water level looks a bit higher in those pics than it normally runs, I can't remember when I took those but I might have fixed it since. Will have another look when I get home from work and see if I can tune it a bit more. But like I said, still 100% silent, whatever is going through the partial its a small enough volume I can't hear it even right next to the tank.

Still need to get around to tapping the top of the partial and adding that tube though haha (will do it eventually)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I understand how it all works, I only have a ball valve on the drain and had issues getting tuned any more open (couldn't get a gate valve where I am). But it is seriously 100% silent, when I first set it up I would worry that it wasn't running because it's so quiet and would keep walking over to check :p.

I think the water level looks a bit higher in those pics than it normally runs, I can't remember when I took those but I might have fixed it since. Will have another look when I get home from work and see if I can tune it a bit more. But like I said, still 100% silent, whatever is going through the partial its a small enough volume I can't hear it even right next to the tank.

Still need to get around to tapping the top of the partial and adding that tube though haha (will do it eventually)

http://glass-holes.com

I couldn't source any locally, either, but this site had everything I needed and pricing was good. Just in case you ever redo your plumbing. :)

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess if its quiet, I would leave it alone too.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://glass-holes.com

I couldn't source any locally, either, but this site had everything I needed and pricing was good. Just in case you ever redo your plumbing. :)
Thanks but that would be $85 AUD for a single 1" gate valve :eek: and even then it wouldn't fit the plumbing we have here. I could make it fit with a bit of sanding and trial and error but I don't think I can justify that much for a valve.

I guess if its quiet, I would leave it alone too.
I will probably have a go at it and see what I can do. I will always be able to get it back to this point without too much trouble so its worth a try.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was able to tweak a ball valve to work. It takes a bit longer, but once you get it right, you just leave it alone anyway.

Back