Becoming a first-time kalk user. Help!

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm one of those reefers that likes to try everything with my tank and see what works the best. My next stop is kalk. It seems like a simple way to maintain alk/calc levels and a good pH. So here are specs and info about my tank, aswell as a few questions I have about kalk.

The tank:
16gal nuvo
Kessil 360we w/ controller
Mp10
Smart ATO
Media baskets w. LR rubble
Been running for close to 2 years
Mesh top, the ATO probably kicks on 2-3 times a day, using very little water.

Maintenance and dosing:
-3g w.c every 7-10 days w/ reef crystals
-dosing 3-4mL of alk+calc every 3 days
-A few mL of fuel every 3-4 days
-5-6 drops of brightwell reef snow every 2-3 days
-5-10 mL of live phyto every 2-3 days
-normal feeding once a day with LRS

Usual tank parameters:
Nitrates <5
Sg 1.025-1.026
pH-always tests @ 7.7-7.8
Alk-10dkh
Calc-450
Mag-1500
The alk and calc levels flex a bit..lowest I've tested my alk was 8.4 and calc 400( I think 10 days with no dosing)

Livestock and corals:
2 clowns
1 longnose hawk
1 bicolor blenny
CUC

-Approx. 15 acan frags/mini colonies
-5 chalices
-Big tyree neon green toadstool
-A few other various lps pieces
-few mangroves in the back section
It is an acan dominated tank for sure.

Questions:
From what I understand, kalk can be used to maintain the alk+calc levels of the tank once kalk is started, as long as the amount used is correct. My plan is to go the dosing via ATO route, and that's where I have a few questions.
1. many retailers sell "kalk dosers" that mix the solution prior to it going into the tank. Can't I just use a small powerhead in my ATO bucket and accomplish the same goal?
2. what exactly is the white substance that builds up in the bottom ? Good/bad?
3. cautions when starting the use of kalk? I know the dangers of using too much of something (biopellets :mad:) and want to know the risk involved.
4. does my w.c schedule have to change? Or can I just choose to do a w.c when nitrate levels start to creep up.

I think that's about it for now...I'm sure there's more to come. Feel free to share your experiences with kalk!

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take caution using kalk with a small tank using a ATO, this will add to much limewater at once with a risk of spiking the pH really high when it absorbs Co2 turning your sand into chunks and even precipitation of calcification and harming the inhabitants of your tank.
Do not use the white stuff that settles at the bottom of the container. A kalk reactor only mixes up new water entering the reactor and time it leaves the reactor it should be clear stuff going into your tank.
I would stick with the drip method of kalk only dripping once every 5 seconds or so at night when the pH is lower. And test test test the pH at first when beginning dosing it drop by drop making sure the pH doesn't spike to high.

Last edited:

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of using 2 part I started adding Kalk to my ATO for my 29g about 6 months ago as a test. I have little evaporation, 4 gallons every 7-10 days (I don't really track it). Here is my advice:
  1. Buy Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime for about $7. I bought a 1 lb bag and It will last me at least another 6 months.
  2. Start Slow. Don't mix a saturated solution at first. I started with only 1 tsp per 4 gallons of RO water. I measured my Alk daily (at first) and corrected the Alk level with 2 part. The next time I made filled my Top off container I added a little more. I kept doing this until the kalk water kept up my tank's Alk demand. As your corals grow you will need to up the amount of Kalk you are adding to your top off water. I currently use 3 tsp in a 4 gallon container of RO water. Typically I up the amount of Pickling Lime by about 1/4 tsp every 1-2 weeks for my tank. By taking it slow, you reduce the chance that you will overdose your tank. I believe the amount of pickling lime you will need to add to get a saturated solution is 2 tsp per gallon
  3. I don't stir my Kalk water. probably a good idea, but I don't.
  4. Normal water change routine
  5. Make sure that your ATO is sized for a small tank. reduces the risk that you will add to much at one time.
  6. I rinse my container each time, but only because I'm not using a saturated solution and want to make sure the amount of pickling lime in the container is not slowing creeping up on me. Once I need a saturated solution, I'm not sure I will bother.
  7. Most important is read some of Randy's posts on this subject. Just search the chemistry forum and I'm sure there are tons. Here is a good starting point. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/making-lime-water.185123/

I will be adding it to my 125g tank in the near future. This is the second best thing I have done for my tank, adding the ATO is #1. No more daily adding of 2 part, it's set and forget, stable Alk/Ca/pH, no need for a dosing pump, and my corals are growing like mad.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main concern is to add it slowly enough. Adding 1.25% of the tank volume at once will instantly boost pH by about 0.7 pH units. 1/10 of that is OK.

The residual solids can be undissolved calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, or magnesium hydroxide (usually a combination of all of these).

It is fine (maybe better) to mix a batch, let it settle unstirred, and dose it. You do not usually want to let solids enter the tank.

Water changes continue as usual.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 15ml of vinager to 1 tsp of Kalk, mix up 4 tsps into a 5 gallon container and this lasts me about 4-5 days. The benefit to doing this is it lowers the ph of the top off water and if you are using a ATO it lowers the risk of a ph spike. I also just mix up the slurry and dump all of it into the top off container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 15ml of vinager to 1 tsp of Kalk, mix up 4 tsps into a 5 gallon container and this lasts me about 4-5 days. The benefit to doing this is it lowers the ph of the top off water and if you are using a ATO it lowers the risk of a ph spike. I also just mix up the slurry and dump all of it into the top off container.

How low does the pH come out? One concern of lowering it too far (below 9, say) is that it will become a good medium for bacteria to consume the vinegar, produce CO2, and deplete the limewater (kalk).

FishAddict87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about mixing kalk in a gallon of water and once it settles, add the concentrate to your ATO container. This way you can avoid getting the solids in your container and the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about mixing kalk in a gallon of water and once it settles, add the concentrate to your ATO container. This way you can avoid getting the solids in your container and the tank.

IMO, that's a fine way to go.

I make up 132 gallons at a time in 3 connected Brute trash cans and ATO dose that over the course of a month or so. :)

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low does the pH come out? One concern of lowering it too far (below 9, say) is that it will become a good medium for bacteria to consume the vinegar, produce CO2, and deplete the limewater (kalk).
The ph of newly mixed Kalk with 15ml of vinegar to 1 tsp Kalk, mixed in 1 gallon of RODI water was 12.1 at 80 degrees at 8 at night. It doesn't lower the ph as much I thought.

OP
OP
Mattyice008

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main concern is to add it slowly enough. Adding 1.25% of the tank volume at once will instantly boost pH by about 0.7 pH units. 1/10 of that is OK.

The residual solids can be undissolved calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, or magnesium hydroxide (usually a combination of all of these).

It is fine (maybe better) to mix a batch, let it settle unstirred, and dose it. You do not usually want to let solids enter the tank.

Water changes continue as usual.

My ATO sits at the bottom of the bucket. Are you saying make the mixture of kalk in some ro water, let it settle, and then pour the portion of the water that doesn't have the visible white solids into the ATO bucket? What would you recommend as a starting dosage amount of kalk? Would it be ideal to raise the alk/calc to exactly where I want and then start using kalk? Because if I have the right idea, it won't raise it, just maintain it? Thanks randy

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using from ATO: You need to know how water much your tank evaporates per day, and how much the alk changes (preferably using an alk test kit like the hanna checker or salifert kit). From there, use this calculator to adjust the amount of kalk you're adding to the ATO: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/KalkContribution.php Based on your stocking levels, the amount of kalk added is probably going to be pretty small.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph of newly mixed Kalk with 15ml of vinegar to 1 tsp Kalk, mixed in 1 gallon of RODI water was 12.1 at 80 degrees at 8 at night. It doesn't lower the ph as much I thought.

That's good. Bear in mind that a drop in pH from 12.5 to 12.2 means more than a halving of the immediate impact on pH when added to a tank.

FWIW, part of the pH lowering will come later as the vinegar is metabolized to CO2. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO sits at the bottom of the bucket. Are you saying make the mixture of kalk in some ro water, let it settle, and then pour the portion of the water that doesn't have the visible white solids into the ATO bucket? What would you recommend as a starting dosage amount of kalk? Would it be ideal to raise the alk/calc to exactly where I want and then start using kalk? Because if I have the right idea, it won't raise it, just maintain it? Thanks randy

You need not pour off the clear liquid, but you can.

It will raise alkalinity.

I'd start at 1/2 level teaspoon calcium hydroxide per gallon of top off water and see what that does over a few days to the alkalinity. Then adjust if alk moves out of your desired range. 2 level teaspoons is about all that will dissolve.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you elevate the ATO intake a bit off of the bottom of the storage container you will avoid any addition of solids.

glweek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I plan to start kalk as well. Was thinking two part and doser but this is wayyyyy cheaper

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing Kalk from the ATO, besides the concerns already mention, also make sure there is nothing in your system that can lower the water level suddenly. For example, the overflow.
My overflow handles about 4l of water and depending how I adjust the ball valve, it could top off 4 liters of kalk in a short period of time.

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of the above is really good and helpful information. I've been adding two teaspoons to my five gallon ATO jugs and have had no issues. I've also added 50ML of vinegar to each 5gallon ATO.

Randy- I'd love to see some photos of all of your set-ups! especially the brute's and your ATO. I've been trying to figure out a way to connect two tanks and two sumps side by side and have yet to figure it out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back