Bedroom Reef Tanks - What am I up to?

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef! I hope everyone is having a fantastic time with their aquariums. Here's a little update on my setup as I haven't posted on the forum in a while.

The tanks are doing pretty good despite some coral warfare that is happening in the middle aquarium. Some corals are growing so fast that I had to take out a few species to give the others some room to grow. I have quite a bit of work to do in the coming weeks. To begin with the equipment, recently Bulk Reef Supply offered me the opportunity to upgrade my lights, dosing pumps and power heads for Ecotech/Aquaillumination! It will make my reefing experience even easier, as I will be able to control all my tanks using just one app rather than using five as I am doing now. The goal I'm trying to achieve with my tanks is to let nature do its thing as much as possible by running my tanks low tech.

I am just running lighting, heaters, power heads and dosing pumps on my aquariums and not any skimmers, filtration or sumps. The middle tank was set up in 2020 and the others a year later, I like seeing things evolve over time. So much has happened in the past years, but lately I have been running into a few issues that will force me to do some work on the reefs.

The tank on the left, my soft coral aquarium, has an Aiptasia and bubble algae problem that I need to take care of. I will be taking care of that by introducing some natural predators like emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp or maybe some berghia nudibranchs if I can get my hands on some.

The 40 gallon in the middle is my main concern, some corals are growing much faster than others and are causing problems. As a beginner reefer, I made the mistake of introducing pulsing Xenia and captain jerk Palythoas. These two species mainly, are taking over the entire reef and I need to take action! For the Xenia, I plan on just cutting away as much as possible over the course of a few weeks and adding a bag of active carbon to the water to get rid of the toxins. I think this will be the 'easiest' task. My main concern are the palys, as you know they are some of the most dangerous corals to handle so cutting them out like I plan on doing with the Xenia probably isn't an option even with a ton precautions. I am afraid my only option is to take out certain rocks of the reef and rebuilding it partially with new rocks. What are your thoughts?

Now the tank on the right. Over the years, a big part of the time this tank has functioned as a frag tank or recovery bay for corals and fish. But now, I want to turn it into something else. Maybe a full SPS tank? As the left one is soft, middle is mixed and then the right would be sps only. I think that would be pretty amazing!

I am setting up a small pico reef on the opposite side of these tanks. I have a really cool idea, so stay tuned!

Overall, there is A LOT of work to do but that's what makes this hobby fun! I am curious to learn more about your setups, please show us some pictures!

- Danny's Aquariums

IMG_1365.png IMG_1367.png IMG_1368.png IMG_1369.png IMG_1370.png

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dang do you have a YouTube channel? I think I was video surfing the other week and came across one of your tank videos that I was highly interested.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back