Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Introduction

Hey everyone,

After a decade away from the world of reef-keeping, I'm excited to dive back into the hobby. In the years leading up to my break, I managed three tanks of varying sizes, concluding with a 90-gallon setup. This time, I'm aiming for a more substantial and carefully planned system, incorporating automation wherever possible. This thread will be the place to document and get support along the journey from concept to a fully operational tank.

While the initial threads were somewhat fluid, I've revisited and refined the content for better organization and ease of navigation after the initial thread was made.

Here's a quick outline, complete with key details and a recent photo of the tank. I'm thrilled to be back and hope you enjoy following along on this journey.
  1. Goals & Planning
  2. Mixing Station Plan
    1. Mixing Station - The Build
  3. Hardware
  4. Lighting Saga
  5. Fish
  6. Coral
  7. Automation

By the Numbers​

• Tank Size: ~210 Display
  • Temp: Coming Soon
  • Salinity: Coming Soon
  • pH: Coming Soon
  • Nitrate (No3): Coming Soon
  • Alkalinity (dKH): Coming Soon
  • Calcium: (Ca): Coming Soon
  • Magnesium (mg): Coming Soon
  • Phosphate (PO4): Coming Soon

Fish​

• Coming Soon
Corals
  • Coming Soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goals & Planning

My Goals

Apart from getting back into Reef Keeping, I have a few goals for this tank:
  • Set it up to be as automated as possible for insights when I am away.
  • Create a mixed Reef but with a focus on having a more SPS-dominant tank.
  • Achieve a good mix of fish.
This is a quick overview; I'll delve into more details for all the goals and questions as I go along. For now lets chat about where the tank will go and how I planned it out.

The Space

To start, one of the main reasons I can do this project is there I have a great location that is ideal for setting up a room-divider-type tank. The space is between our main entryway and the living room.

1.jpg

The initial step was to think about the size and layout and get the full complete measurements and using SketchUp to visualize what I wanted.

Initially, I started considering the impact of overflows on the tank size. While the aim is to maximize the tank space, there must also be room for equipment. This led me to contemplate both internal and external overflow options.

2.png
3.png

Following these considerations, I constructed the space and the tank as they would appear when installed, to assess how each idea might influence their appearance.

External in Place

4.png

5.png

Internal In Place
6.png

7.png

After that, it was time to contact a few places that actually build tanks to get their thoughts and a price estimate.

Getting the Tank

To get the tank built, I reached out to several places and after a lot of reading and research, I decided to go with Waterbox Aquariums. The main factors that sent me in this direction were the price, positive reviews, and overall good interactions in the initial steps. Waterbox was quick and responsive, making the design process easy.

Design Process

To achieve the final design following the initial draft, Waterbox and Jess (who was fantastic) took into account all my questions and feedback. They crafted a custom tank and sump that aligns seamlessly with my long-term goals and the equipment I intend to use.
8.png

9.png

After finalizing the design, I updated my initial SketchUp model to match the actual build plans. While it might have been considered overkill, as an engineer, I find this part of the process enjoyable and a great way to dive back into the hobby. Although not perfect, it gave both myself and my family a clear idea of how everything would fit and look in the space.
10.png

11.png

And that completed the process of finding and getting a tank on its way. I will have more updates later once the tank arrives and I can start to get it into place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing Station Plan

In pursuit of my automation goal, I aimed for a top-notch mixing station to simplify water mixing, automate RODI, full ATO (Auto Top-Off), and streamline auto water changes. After spending way to much time looking at forums and places to buy larger water tanks, one of the most informative threads I came across was located here: (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mixing-station-supply-list.844233/post-9153705) Based on this, I explored two different approaches. ). With that I took 2 different approaches.

Attempt #1

In this iteration, my focus was on fitting the mixing station into a garage space close to the tank. While it served as a good initial attempt with some positive aspects, there were certain drawbacks that led me to try again and pick the second design.

1.png
Pros
  • Compact size, fitting well into the available space without using the entire space.
  • Met the goal of facilitating easy water mixing.
  • Supported both Auto Water Changes (AWC) and Auto Top Off (ATO).
Cons
  • Felt too small for the intended size of the tank.
  • Difficulty in sourcing tanks that would work with the design.
Attempt #2

After finishing the smaller design, for the second and final attempt, my focus was on making sure I would have a substantial water supply to reduce the frequency of refills or water production.

I chose two 105-gallon vertical tanks and developed a stand for them constructed from T-Slot aluminum.
2.png

3.png

The plumbing design adheres to a standard approach based on my research. In an effort to pay it forward from the informative posts I've encountered, I'll outline the design along with the parts list at the end. The stand will be constructed using 3030 Aluminum sourced from ZYLtech. If anyone is interested in a full parts list, I can provide one, although it's fairly specific to my space and the tanks I purchased.

Continued: Mixing Station - The Build - Coming Soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hardware

Still have a few things to settle on but the overall equipment is looking good and started to place some orders where I can. First items are for the mixing station

Tank

• Tanks, Stand, Sump: Waterbox Aquarium
  • Rock: TBS or CARIBSEA
  • Sand: TBS
Automation
  • Controller: Apex Pro
  • Water Change: Neptune DOS
  • ATO: Tunze 3155
  • DOS’ing: Echotech Versa’s
  • Testing: Trident
Water
  • Return: Vectra L2
  • Powerhead: Gyre XF350
  • Powerhead: Vortech MP40
  • Heater: 1000W Helio PTC
Filter, Pest, & Pollution
  • Skimmer: Regal 200SSS 8”
  • Ozone: Poseidon 200 Ozone Generator
  • UV: Aqua Ultraviolet 57 Watt
  • Refugium Light: Prime 16 LED Fuge Light
Misc
  • Red Sea Salt Mix
  • Mix of Flow sensors, optical sensors, leak sensors, etc
Mixing Station
  • Tanks: 2 x Norwesco 105 Gallon
  • Pump: Nepture Core 15
  • RODI: BRS 7 stage
  • Stand: Self Built out of Zyltech 3030
Overall happy with how things are shaping up, let me know what you think or if you have any comments.

Last edited:

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing I am still stick on is lighting. I keep bouncing between several options like do I use 2 Radion X30 G6 Pro's, a few Kessil's with AI blades, or recently was thinking that maybe a mix of Kessil and Radion.

Would love to hear what people think would be a good setup for a tank like this
I'd do 4x or 6x somethings .. maybe the small radions or hydras or something with 4 t5s.

I have a 6x36x30 tank and am using 8 hydra32hd with 4 t5s.

I will never run led without a few t5. I want a linear source light with a point source.

I won't tell you which brand to go with, at this point anything with a decent Cree led or quality competitor will work. Heck even the Amazon stuff will work.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do 4x or 6x somethings .. maybe the small radions or hydras or something with 4 t5s.

I have a 6x36x30 tank and am using 8 hydra32hd with 4 t5s.

I will never run led without a few t5. I want a linear source light with a point source.

I won't tell you which brand to go with, at this point anything with a decent Cree led or quality competitor will work. Heck even the Amazon stuff will work.
Yeah this is very close to what I am leaning to, may just start with the 4 smaller led and then add in some fill light as things need it.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah this is very close to what I am leaning to, may just start with the 4 smaller led and then add in some fill light as things need it.
Man, it's such a PITA trying to hang new lights over an existing tank.

If the money is not an issue then do it all in the beginning.

If money is an issue, consider 3 LED fixtures in the 4 t5 hybrid. That would get you by.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may also do it all now. I am also trying to figure out how to make it so I can raise and lower them to make getting into the tank easier.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I may also do it all now. I am also trying to figure out how to make it so I can raise and lower them to make getting into the tank easier.
When I had an in-wall tank I wanted to be able to work at it from both sides, so I had cabinet doors on the finished room side but the lights were mounted on a rail system that could be pushed in either direction to be out of the way. That was a metal halide setup with lumenbright reflectors and they were big.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had an in-wall tank I wanted to be able to work at it from both sides, so I had cabinet doors on the finished room side but the lights were mounted on a rail system that could be pushed in either direction to be out of the way. That was a metal halide setup with lumenbright reflectors and they were big.
Yeah rails are a possible option but with the tank being visible on both sides up/down would let me get in from both.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah rails are a possible option but with the tank being visible on both sides up/down would let me get in from both.
I had dual drawer slides mounted to each other so you could pull it in one direction or push it in the other, but they folded up to the length of the tank so the enclosure over the top could be closed up.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dual drawer slides mounted to each other so you could pull it in one direction or push it in the other, but they folded up to the length of the tank so the enclosure over the top could be closed up.
Ooo that’s a cool idea. Will have to check that would and see how it would look.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the changes (not sure if it send things out for edits). I revamped how I posted things to clean it up, and should make it easier for me to manage and link things together.

For the last bit its been a waiting game, but I finally got the tanks for the mixing station so will be building that this weekend / next week and will post shots of how it goes. The tank is still a ways out, but have most stuff ordered now other then lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back