Been a while, starting new

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... and having the overflow box will help with skimming the surface scum. Make sure the box is be enough to handle the canisters pump, or put a muzzle on that intake like a 100 micron water filter :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
DrewonVanIsle

DrewonVanIsle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... and having the overflow box will help with skimming the surface scum. Make sure the box is be enough to handle the canisters pump, or put a muzzle on that intake like a 100 micron water filter :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I've seen a couple options for overflows - the siphon or for a drilled tank. Were you meaning a DIY overflow of some kind? You just set up the canister so it pulls the water out and pumps it back in so you don't need to rely on a siphon I guess, but you're pulling the water from out of the overflow box instead of from the display tank...

I've read good things about the Lifereef (3rd photo, blueish) but that appears to also be a siphon situation.

Attachments

• esh-of0300_02.jpg
    esh-of0300_02.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 18
  • esh-ofpr02.jpg
    esh-ofpr02.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 22
  • lg_pre.gif
    lg_pre.gif
    69.5 KB · Views: 20

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple options for overflows - the siphon or for a drilled tank. Were you meaning a DIY overflow of some kind? You just set up the canister so it pulls the water out and pumps it back in so you don't need to rely on a siphon I guess, but you're pulling the water from out of the overflow box instead of from the display tank...

I've read good things about the Lifereef (3rd photo, blueish) but that appears to also be a siphon situation.
My bad I used the term "overflow box" when I'm really talking about a box that is inside the tank only, that has a weir on the top edges so water flows into it and skims the surface but then you place the intake of the canister filter inside. Something like this that you might glue wo the aquarium

1680565242642.png

OP
OP
DrewonVanIsle

DrewonVanIsle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad I used the term "overflow box" when I'm really talking about a box that is inside the tank only, that has a weir on the top edges so water flows into it and skims the surface but then you place the intake of the canister filter inside. Something like this that you might glue wo the aquarium

1680565242642.png
Awesome, very helpful thank you!

I was watching some videos last night of some folks very successfully using canister filters on their marine tanks. One was recommending a pre-filter sponge in the canister that filtered out all the organic material before it even entered the canister, which would save you from dismantling the filter to clean everything out so regularly -

Not sure whether SunSun is a great filter manufacturer but I may give the canister more thought before I write it off. Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and walking me through this.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back