Been Lurking, Finally Saying Hello

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whitey26
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
So, instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just post this in here since it is related anyhow. Upgrade questions/thoughts:

-I am looking into possibly upgrading from this 12 gallon to a 29 gallon. I have done a lot of reading and just can't decide what the best filtration options would be. Many say skimmer, many say not necessary. Many say skimmer and no filter at all, some say a filter is fine and no skimmer. So much information.

The aquarium would be standard most likely, not all-in-one, so anything added would be HOB.

-As for rock, I would add more to keep up with the increased gallons of water. I currently have roughly 10 pounds of live rock. I would just want to add dry, cured rock, correct? Not purchase additional live rock? I would get new sand and use a little bit of mine to seed it, though I've also read that isn't completely necessary with live rock from the previous tank.

-Lastly, going from a 12g to a 29g, I would be putting the 29 where the 12 currently sits so would be doing a transfer the same day. Will be transferring the live rock from the 12 but should any of the old tank water be transferred as well? From reading it seems that at least some of it should be used in the new tank but others have said start with fresh saltwater. Obviously nervous about everything being transferred into a new tank the same day. My tank is doing really, really well right now and everything is healthy, growing, I don't want to crash and kill anything.

Thanks in advance for feedback!
 
Welcome to the group. Tank looks nice. You said youve been lurking - nah! You just realized you came to the right group. Many wishes for success with reefing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new