Beep'ing Green Hair Algae

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't read this whole thread, so i dont know if it was mentioned yet but a couple of months ago i was dealing with BAD hair algae...

i tried a product called reef flux i got off amazon and it worked in less than 2 weeks

i also have added an h380 to my fuge and now i am algae free

OP
OP
S

spiritwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't read this whole thread, so i dont know if it was mentioned yet but a couple of months ago i was dealing with BAD hair algae...

i tried a product called reef flux i got off amazon and it worked in less than 2 weeks

i also have added an h380 to my fuge and now i am algae free
Most of what I have read about reef flux and algae was targeted at bryopsis with the occasional hair algae cure.

I do think my fuge light is a bit under powered for my fuge.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some pics... the first were taken in june, the last one was just taken tonight

IMG-4538.jpg

IMG-4539.jpg

IMG-4526.jpg

w-Vz-Uv-UJFSSm1-A1-R03867-UQ.jpg

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also forgot to mention that it almost killed of my Cheato as well

some of what i had was probably bryopsis but there was definitely hair algae in there too

OP
OP
S

spiritwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to jinx myself but I feel I may have turned the corner.. I continue to dose 10ml of nopox daily. The rocks seem to be looking less green especially under full spectrum lighting. They used to be very green. The green hair algae has slowed and seems to be mostly isolated to the holes and crevices where I cant scrub it.. I suspect this is where detritus settles and helps feed it. I will be increasing flow soon with a couple gyre pumps.

Here are some updates pics:

00cb7f8a6ccc585d0daf093be9d06790.jpg

ce98193dc49ac5a031f720b0f2108bab.jpg

901ba0a06460c01a1eff6e331c747278.jpg

b88f44f5e25f40c19d8a71a9b0883b8e.jpg

4559ae5987697fead030f42690c126d3.jpg

5754ed331ff8dc288694d6b9ba2f8332.jpg

OP
OP
S

spiritwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow amazing job. I wonder if a bottle of Coralline spores would help at this point. I have been thinking of adding it to my tank to increase the strains available:

https://arcreef.com/product/coralline-algae-in-a-bottle/

I have seen some good results on the forum using this product, very interested.
I did this when I started the tank. If I did it again I'd just get some live rock and scrape it off into the tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent follow up work

We used to think that manual cleaning vs nutrient tuning were dueling systems, had to choose an opposite end of action spectrum

but now we know they’re synergy, the two methods. to be ordered correctly-work and decloud before nutrient tuning always makes for clean rock and it -prevents tradeoff invasions-

Your tank would be ripe for cyano invasions were it not for you robbing their whole food source before hitting cruise control. I’m linking this again to a friend who needs to be convinced of action, because we care. We don’t have to entertain an invasion or wait or lose more corals while we work to identify at the cellular level a given invader. Action steps are listed + follow up here, rare.

The small push of algae above is correct nutrient balance. You know corals won’t bleach with that minor driver in place. Some grazer feed. It’s not about total starvation -at all- nor is it about dosing fertilizer to ones tank to raise or lower N or P while all the base detritus remains, to fuel the next alternating invader. Act wholly on the reef tank if you want your investment to comply, not in parts.

*this thread is a neat non peroxide comparison. Peroxide is highly predictable in growback timing, what your rocks look like above is as good or better than ideal peroxide use :) and your boil water conveys zero biological test to the nontarget area, it appears to be killing the full plant matrix based on update pics, agreed. It’s great. Agreed on coralline statements above, dosing options. It’s a seeding organism that really transfers well. Whether it lands in a tank that selects for its growth, tbd.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent follow up work

We used to think that manual cleaning vs nutrient tuning were dueling systems, had to choose an opposite end of action spectrum

but now we know they’re synergy, the two methods. to be ordered correctly-work and decloud before nutrient tuning always makes for clean rock and it -prevents tradeoff invasions-

Your tank would be ripe for cyano invasions were it not for you robbing their whole food source before hitting cruise control. I’m linking this again to a friend who needs to be convinced of action, because we care. We don’t have to entertain an invasion or wait or lose more corals while we work to identify at the cellular level a given invader. Action steps are listed + follow up here, rare.

The small push of algae above is correct nutrient balance. You know corals won’t bleach with that minor driver in place. Some grazer feed. It’s not about total starvation -at all- nor is it about dosing fertilizer to ones tank to raise or lower N or P while all the base detritus remains, to fuel the next alternating invader. Act wholly on the reef tank if you want your investment to comply, not in parts.

*this thread is a neat non peroxide comparison. Peroxide is highly predictable in growback timing, what your rocks look like above is as good or better than ideal peroxide use :) and your boil water conveys zero biological test to the nontarget area, it appears to be killing the full plant matrix based on update pics, agreed. It’s great. Agreed on coralline statements above, dosing options. It’s a seeding organism that really transfers well. Whether it lands in a tank that selects for its growth, tbd.

Hey @brandon429,

Thanks for linking me to this thread! :) As far as a clean sand bed goes, I can blow a baster into the sand and see nothing come up. No clouds of anything. Until December 27th, after the temp dropped on the tank due to my failure to ensure the heater was plugged in and operating, everything was great in the tank except for one rock with GHA on it. After the temp drop as well as adding the T5's, I started to get GHA and cyano on other rocks. The GHA wasn't bad, but my corals weren't looking happy. After 10 days of corals still looking upset, I decided to ask for help. I have been removing algae by sucking it up with a baster. Time consuming, but effective. The GHA comes off of the rocks pretty easily. In some areas, it can be blown off the rocks.

I think that the main problem in my tank is that after December 27th, there was a die off of small inverts living in the rocks. I do get a little cloudiness when I blow off the rocks. With daily maintenance, I am getting rid of that die off. Here is a link to my thread if anyone has any other ideas, but for now, I plan on cleaning the rocks daily, vacuuming the sand during every water change, and watching my tank trying not to make any sudden changes that could further stress my corals.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/please-help-tank-quickly-deteriorating.536439/#post-5548526

As of yesterday, my NO3 was at 0.5 ppm and my PO4 was at 0.025 ppm. I am seeing a lot of progress with the algae, and my protein skimmer is working overtime as I am skimming a little wetter than normal.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, if your system is low to no cloud, that's the base approach we find ideal

Next is the kill step. Vs easy manual removal, spiritw used directed boiling water to actually kill the target vs just scrape off. Others use peroxide

Take out a small test rock from your setup and kill the algae creatively, and thoroughly, somehow. Rinse it clean then put back into the tank to chart it's behavior among the untested areas

Last edited:

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank set up with that same problem five years later I'm in good shape. The best thing I ever did to my live rocks with green algae is take them out scrub them with a brush rinse with tank water, let them dry for a few minutes and spray them with hydrogen peroxide let sit for five minutes rinse again. I did this a few times. Now I have to add phosphate and nitrogen almost daily!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multi tiered approach, all against mass of a target we want gone, perfect for this thread very nice to read that. Peroxide liquid, peroxide + baking soda paste, fire from a jet torch lighter, boiling water, magnesium pasting, all potential tools to take ground.

I like this approach you used where one does not sit back, they act, like making a fire line to stop a bigger fire~ it's hand-guiding of substrates first, animal and param guided secondarily, the goal is to plate coralline and coral mass to exclude algae, they're bio excluders like how fescue grows in nice n tight to exclude other less desirable plants.

Terrestrial gardeners use physical blocking by other plants commonly, and nobody presents an invasion tank with algae attached to the fleshy lobe of a plerogyra. No, algae attaches to the base, or an exposed septa in a regressing specimen it never attaches to the bright healthy round flesh.

Ergo, a ton of healthy plerogyra packed tightly on a hand-farmed and coralline-selected area of rock isn't going to misbehave if it's kept in a relatively clean, low detritus reef regardless of the cuc one uses.

I do not use a clean up crew, why outsource the job if total land taking is an option. Can't grow algae when the entire rock is a brain coral~larger tanks will find benefit in using a clean crew to prevent algae infestation, not to remove it.

59ee70577dd07_rock-Copy.thumb.jpg.37122ac0b02a73cf23f0af8a4b97a4d9.jpg

People assume hand gardening never stops, it does when bio excluders take over, we work until then. I haven't had to mess with my rocks since 2009, it's glass that needs occasional cleaning (barest zone of excluders in the tank=where invaders go)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spiritwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Sea Hare #2 has died.. It was looking fine and started to slow down over the past couple days.. Then died.. There is plenty of hair algae in the tank so I cant imagine it would have starved to death unless it was just not eating the hair algae.. I cant say I've really seen anything eat it.. Maybe it is a strain that these inverts dont like. I've never seen an invert munch away at a thick tuft of that algae.. Tempted to try a lawnmower blenny as I seem to have a problem keeping inverts.. I have nearly zero film algae on the glass.. I dont even need to clean my glass aside from perhaps a weekly touch up to clear off some light cloudiness.. It never turns green. I kind of think these inverts are dying because they are starving and they are not eating the hair algae that I want them to be eating. I dunno...

Hermits seem to be doing fine.. I've noticed a couple empty shells but for the most part they seem like they are doing ok and are active on the rocks.
My cleaner shrimp is doing fine and seems happy camping out deep in the rock pile.
Astrea snails seem to be ok.. These have been in my tank since the first batch of inverts were added.
fish are all happy

I'll be doing a water test this weekend and perhaps a water change.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Sea Hare #2 has died.. It was looking fine and started to slow down over the past couple days.. Then died.. There is plenty of hair algae in the tank so I cant imagine it would have starved to death unless it was just not eating the hair algae.. I cant say I've really seen anything eat it.. Maybe it is a strain that these inverts dont like. I've never seen an invert munch away at a thick tuft of that algae.. Tempted to try a lawnmower blenny as I seem to have a problem keeping inverts.. I have nearly zero film algae on the glass.. I dont even need to clean my glass aside from perhaps a weekly touch up to clear off some light cloudiness.. It never turns green. I kind of think these inverts are dying because they are starving and they are not eating the hair algae that I want them to be eating. I dunno...

Hermits seem to be doing fine.. I've noticed a couple empty shells but for the most part they seem like they are doing ok and are active on the rocks.
My cleaner shrimp is doing fine and seems happy camping out deep in the rock pile.
Astrea snails seem to be ok.. These have been in my tank since the first batch of inverts were added.
fish are all happy

I'll be doing a water test this weekend and perhaps a water change.

Recently been struggling with similar issues. I have some posts with how bad t was. It looked like Chewbacca had died in my tank. I recently removed some rock and re did my rockscape to allow a lot of flow through the rocks. Some of the rocks smelled really really really bad. I didn’t put those back in. I was pulling a lot out manually daily that I could pinch off with my fingers and after the re-rock work and big water change it has started to do much better. I had some phosgaurd in there for a while too. Now i have a sailfin tang and some green emeralds that I see activity eating the stuff. Hopefully I’ve turned the corner but it took a long while. Hang in there.

OP
OP
S

spiritwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently been struggling with similar issues. I have some posts with how bad t was. It looked like Chewbacca had died in my tank. I recently removed some rock and re did my rockscape to allow a lot of flow through the rocks. Some of the rocks smelled really really really bad. I didn’t put those back in. I was pulling a lot out manually daily that I could pinch off with my fingers and after the re-rock work and big water change it has started to do much better. I had some phosgaurd in there for a while too. Now i have a sailfin tang and some green emeralds that I see activity eating the stuff. Hopefully I’ve turned the corner but it took a long while. Hang in there.

I have 3 tangs and they all pick at the rocks.. but they do not eat the hair algae.. They typically pick at the cleaner areas.. I never see them take a bite of hairy goodness.. Same with the snails and sea hare.. Have never seen them belly up to a fuzzy bunch of algae and start munching away.

I have been preparing to increase my flow (going round and round trying to decide between maxspect xf250 or 280's).. I know it will help and it will also help my sps coral. I have also been considering changing my rockscape like you did. The high flow areas definitely show less algae growth.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have a problem keeping inverts.. ..

Also, I had over 20 snails and they all died in the worst of it. Someone on here suggested I had dinoflagellates mixed in with the algae and they are toxic to them. Dunno if that’s your case.

My blue legged hermits and coral banded shrimp and green emerald crabs where fine. The hermits took advantage of the empty shells and now are huge. Lol

OP
OP
S

spiritwalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
25 gal water change yesterday. Things still looking pretty good, I continue to occasionally touch up areas of the rock but it is very manageable. Continue to dose nopox and it may be starting to show results as nitrate has come down.

I tested the water before the water change:
No3 4ppm
Po4 0.0
Kh 10.1
Ca 450
Mg 1560
Ph 8.21 avg
Tmp 78
SG 1.026

Took a little video.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back