Begginer sps that can be kept under low light

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a 65 gallon tank(120X50XheightX40) with 2 T5 bulbs -1 corals plus and 1 blue plus- with 78watt in total. I have zoas 10-20cm above the sand that grows ok and blastos,acans,duncan that does well in the mid section.I do have 2 hammers at the top of the tank that's been ok but haven't seen growh on them.Anyway i wanted to add some easy begginers sps corals that can stand with my lighting setup.I know my lighting is very little but i do plan to upgrade them in 6-7 months perhaps.I asked some stores like wwc,tidal gardens,top shelf aquatics and some shops in my country and all said that i could probably place some seriatoporas,montiporas,stylophoras at the mid-top section of the tank.What do you guys think?

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo for you guys to see how my tank looks like and to be able to give me some suggestions
IMG_20210704_202445.jpg

Upvote 0

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 t5s over a 65 is not a lot of light. You could try some of the monti caps or encrusting variants. Anacropora may be ok too. My stylophora appreciates a pretty decent amount of light. I’d get something cheap and see how it does and go from there. That’s really the only way to know if they will do ok

Upvote 0

reeferttb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a 65 gallon tank(120X50XheightX40) with 2 T5 bulbs -1 corals plus and 1 blue plus- with 78watt in total. I have zoas 10-20cm above the sand that grows ok and blastos,acans,duncan that does well in the mid section.I do have 2 hammers at the top of the tank that's been ok but haven't seen growh on them.Anyway i wanted to add some easy begginers sps corals that can stand with my lighting setup.I know my lighting is very little but i do plan to upgrade them in 6-7 months perhaps.I asked some stores like wwc,tidal gardens,top shelf aquatics and some shops in my country and all said that i could probably place some seriatoporas,montiporas,stylophoras at the mid-top section of the tank.What do you guys think?
You could try a cactus coral, they look great, are hardy, and can grow in lower light.

Upvote 0

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Party Crasher Cyphastrea; they are beautiful and one of many color morphs that are aquacultured. Might also want to research an old standby, the Meteor Shower.

They are a low light coral ime

Upvote 0

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cyphastrea is sps?i thought it was lps
It’s weird what people consider it as. Check out this thread just to see what I’m talking about:
I consider it an SPS though. Reminds me more of an SPS than LPS

Upvote 0

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I would look into a Hawkins echinata. I have mine in sub 100 PAR. Also is very robust. This coral will give you time to correct issues before its to late. Also it will allow you to work on the colors of the coral.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 t5s over a 65 is not a lot of light. You could try some of the monti caps or encrusting variants. Anacropora may be ok too. My stylophora appreciates a pretty decent amount of light. I’d get something cheap and see how it does and go from there. That’s really the only way to know if they will do ok
yeah i know its not a lot of light.My lfs said to just buy something cheap and see how it goes.They said that pretty much every sps besides acropora could potentially be ok in my tank
You could try a cactus coral, they look great, are hardy, and can grow in lower light.
well we don't exactly have pavona corals in my country(at least i haven't seen any) so i will just ask and see if they can bring me 1
Just got a Party Crasher Cyphastrea; they are beautiful and one of many color morphs that are aquacultured. Might also want to research an old standby, the Meteor Shower.

They are a low light coral ime
well i will definately check some cyphastrea.
It’s weird what people consider it as. Check out this thread just to see what I’m talking about:
I consider it an SPS though. Reminds me more of an SPS than LPS
i mean cyphastrea is kinda like favia so that's why i thought it was lps..i will check that thread now,i am really interested about that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into a Hawkins echinata. I have mine in sub 100 PAR. Also is very robust. This coral will give you time to correct issues before its to late. Also it will allow you to work on the colors of the coral.

oh man that's a dope acropora...i am not an acropora fan but this one is pretty cool...i will try to find if my lfs can bring me a piece

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice -- these are the ones to start with. If they do well for you, try the other stuff people are talking about in this thread. Acros are harder to keep than stylos for sure. Pocillopora is another good starter genus.
yeah i will probably pick a frag of seriatopora in the end of the month and see how that goes

Upvote 0
Back