!!!!!BEGGING!!!!! for some vertical growth help

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completey stumped. Nobody local has the answer and Ive researched online without finding the answer to why my sps will not grow vertical. It encrusts and it puts on girth but never grows vertical. None of it. Not Monti's or acro's. My monti cap cannot be broken by hand it is so thick but it plates out at a crawl. Doesn't matter if the coral is in high light, low light, high flow, low flow it just does not matter. Here are a few things I can think of about my tank. Please feel free to ask any other questions. This is beyond driving me to drink.

Setup has been up and running for 3 years and some of the sps is that old.

180 DT, 75 sump, 40 ft all plumbed in together. I had the same problems with a 40 gallon breeder for a sump and no ft though.
ATI 8x80. 5 blue plus, 2 coral plus and 1 purple plus bulbs swapped every 12 months.
Params are tested weekly and water change is 15 gallons weekly as of right now. I've done larger changes less frequent but my tank has held color and polyp extension at this current rate. These are param averages and they stay more or less pretty steady.
Salt - Red Sea Coral Pro
Temp runs an average of 78, Ca 420, Mg 1290, dkh, 7.5, as per Salifert tests. Nitrates 0 as per API test. Phosphates .04 as per Hannah Checker.
Dose 50 ml Ak per day, 200 ml Mg weekly, 7 drops lugals weekly.
I have vodka dosed since Feb of last year and my maintanence dose is 4ml daily.
Left return mag 9.5, Right return mag 12. 2 Koralia 6's and one 5 on a smartwave. No coral is getting blasted with flow. That is the only possible solution to my problem I could find online but I have moved flow and corals and am positive this is no the case.
Somebody has to have a solution to this problem. For the most part everything in my tank grows very well including the sps. It just will not put on any growth where it would make it a more appealing tank.
I would LOVE to figure this out. I have been asking for years now with now solution.
Thanks!!!!!

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halides...make everything grow^^^^^^. So nothing in your tank grows up??? Just out? hmm that is kinda strange. What type of light source is in front of you tank? Does it get sunlight coming in?

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that there is too much flow... I know that it is unlikely, but extreme flow causes the branches to be thicker as the coral seems to make sure that it has a very sturdy base before growing upward.

OP
OP
MattinIdaho

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in my basement. No light from outside. I keep it as dark as possible other than my t5's. I tested the too much flow theory by moving some in some low flow areas. It's a head scratcher and very frustrating. I have some nice pieces that are just colorful globs. My shortcake is just an encrusting sps.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got any pics? Interested to see what's going on here

Nvizn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the #1 factor that determines growth pattern, is light. More specifically, typically, how much or little, there is to meet the specific corals demand. #2, would be flow pattern.

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pics would help-what arboresent/branching acros do you have? I have read that too much strontium causes dense calcification-(skelatal thickening stunted growth)

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some branch better than others. Hawkins and torts seems to branch no problem, the bonsai acro and tierra del fuego might as well be called encrusting montis. You need to force branching by not giving them anywhere else to go but up. Try isolating an acro with a lot of overhang on all sides. Once it encrusts the platform, it has no choice but to branch upwards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattinIdaho

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is a recent tank shot. The big pink lemonade colony was received as a colony. The Sunset Milli is a great example of what my sps is doing. It was bought as a frag 3 years ago. The grafted Monti Digi Cap I've had for 1 1/2 years and is still the size of a 50 cent piece. I have some Idaho Grape cap that I've had for 3 years and is barely larger than playing card size. The stronium issue is exactly the kind of issue I believe is responible. Thanks for that clue and please keep ideas coming.

OP
OP
MattinIdaho

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having troubles loading pics. I'll try again in awile. The Sunset is the second stick in front of the Sailfin.

Last edited:

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Ronald Shimek-had a paragraph in the 500 essential marine inverts pocket referance-regarding strontium

OP
OP
MattinIdaho

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested in pics I would be happy to text them to anyone. I can't load any but the tank shot. 2 zero 8 7 zero 9- 6659

OP
OP
MattinIdaho

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140727_213512_2.jpg

Here is a shot of my Sunset Milli I've had for 3 years, a Red Planet I've had for 3 years and a full tank shot.

Last edited:

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with Montis and Acros spreading over the rock work. Was there ever an answer to this?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back