New to saltwater
Here's my new 30g setup.
Fluval 2.0 led light
Aquatic 150w heater
Aquaclear 70
25lbs of "Fiji live rock"
10 pounds of dry rock from the LFS
2" Caribsea sand bed

It's cycling right now, started it on feb 28th.

Any advise from people with a similar size? Fish recommendations? Coral recommendations? Or anything else I should add?
Thanks everyone!!!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457498360.474001.jpg

p.pep85

got more salt then money
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a skimmer is a must imo. get a good clean up crew. in my 29 gal i had 10 turbo snails a lawnmower blenny and a peppermint shrimp and they did a great job keeping thing clean. for fish i love pygmy filefish and the good ole clown fish for nano tanks. im not sur about your lights for corals mushrooms and zoas were easy for me to keep with leds but do your homework on fish and corals well everything you want it will pay off in the long run liveaquria.com gives great info on fish and corals. hope this helps!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a skimmer is a must imo. get a good clean up crew. in my 29 gal i had 10 turbo snails a lawnmower blenny and a peppermint shrimp and they did a great job keeping thing clean. for fish i love pygmy filefish and the good ole clown fish for nano tanks. im not sur about your lights for corals mushrooms and zoas were easy for me to keep with leds but do your homework on fish and corals well everything you want it will pay off in the long run liveaquria.com gives great info on fish and corals. hope this helps!
+1

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

Looking good!
What are your test results?

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely helps! The LFS guy helped me a lot with advise and equipment to use. He told me I really don't need a skimmer for a 30g....so I haven't bought one yet but i have still been thinking about ordering one.
The light i got is supposed to be good for corals I was told. It definitely wasn't cheap! And I've been reading a TON about fish combos, CUCs and the works. So many different options[emoji50]!

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use a skimmer on mine and I have had pretty good success with a 2.5 gallon weekly water change. I would highly recommend a ATO if you do not have one.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Off to a great start, I would recommend clown fish, firefish or cardinals as start up fish and for corals stick with easy ones for now zoas, mushrooms, GSP and leathers.
As for equipment, don't go too crazy...see how you like it first. I've seen too many people upgrading or buying more fish tanks after setting up one, including myself lol. One thing you are missing now is a powerhead

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Off to a great start, I would recommend clown fish, firefish or cardinals as start up fish and for corals stick with easy ones for now zoas, mushrooms, GSP and leathers.
As for equipment, don't go too crazy...see how you like it first. I've seen too many people upgrading or buying more fish tanks after setting up one, including myself lol. One thing you are missing now is a powerhead
Thanks! Oh I forgot to mention that also, I have a 425gph powerhead I plan on putting in this weekend. I'm definitely not going to wild on this small of a tank, I have a 55g, and a 70g available whenever I step up my game. But I wanted to start a 30 to begin with and learn ALL of the basics of saltwater!!!

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Oh I forgot to mention that also, I have a 425gph powerhead I plan on putting in this weekend. I'm definitely not going to wild on this small of a tank, I have a 55g, and a 70g available whenever I step up my game. But I wanted to start a 30 to begin with and learn ALL of the basics of saltwater!!!
Best of luck :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back