Beginner advice please!

SpronkCrunkler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so this is my first saltwater tank and my first post on here so please don’t hate too bad.

So long story short I saw a huge female gold nugget (3-3.5 inch)at the LFS and couldn’t leave her there.

Went home, set up a tank, waited months to cycle, and all be danged she was still there.
She’s been happy inside of the tank for a bit and the LFS got a much smaller one in recently (around 1.5-2 inch) and impulsively bought him although i’ve read that pairing maroons in general can be quite difficult. Well I added him yesterday and they’re already swimming around the tank together and hosting the big ladies condylactis.. Is this beginners luck or calm before the storm? Please help!!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully beginners luck. I've paired maroons before and it can be pretty brutal of it doesn't work out and it usually doesn't take long before you know it. Nice that that are hosting a condi, I don't think its a nem they naturally host. What size tank do you have? I only ask because maroons can be problematic with new additions especially in smaller tanks. I had a female that owned half of a 6ft tank. She would even tear coral off of her rocks when I tried to place some.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon that I paired easily with a male gold nugget. But he was also very small. She didnt let him sleep in the same nem as her for 3 months and would chase him out of his nem too but then one day they were best buds and sleeping in the same nem. Keep an eye out, he might just be following her for now. When the bonding starts you will see her get super aggressive with him, just keep an eye on them and be ready to separate into an acclimation box if she really starts beating him up. I love maroons :)

OP
OP
S

SpronkCrunkler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully beginners luck. I've paired maroons before and it can be pretty brutal of it doesn't work out and it usually doesn't take long before you know it. Nice that that are hosting a condi, I don't think its a nem they naturally host. What size tank do you have? I only ask because maroons can be problematic with new additions especially in smaller tanks. I had a female that owned half of a 6ft tank. She would even tear coral off of her rocks when I tried to place some.
They’re in a 40 gallon, just them though. Is that too small for just a single maroon pair?

OP
OP
S

SpronkCrunkler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon that I paired easily with a male gold nugget. But he was also very small. She didnt let him sleep in the same nem as her for 3 months and would chase him out of his nem too but then one day they were best buds and sleeping in the same nem. Keep an eye out, he might just be following her for now. When the bonding starts you will see her get super aggressive with him, just keep an eye on them and be ready to separate into an acclimation box if she really starts beating him up. I love maroons :)
Thank you so much littlefoxx!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit or miss and it sounds like you may have hit. Condy's aren't normal hosting nems though. Consider a bubble tip!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroons only started fighting after 3 months together in the tank.
At first they seemed madly in love but the marriage didn't last ;)

Just curious are you positive one was a female? I've only paired maroons after I've had the female long enough to be 100% sure she was female. Then I've introduced the smallest male I can find.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious are you positive one was a female? I've only paired maroons after I've had the female long enough to be 100% sure she was female. Then I've introduced the smallest male I can find.
Well she/he was way bigger and more dominant. I got them both at the same size and after 3 months the dominant one was way way bigger.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my pair

Attachments

• IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 13

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. My last pair were gold stripe. Do you keep nems? My male was so small he looked like her baby rather than mate
Yeah I used to have BTAs for them. Im planning on getting them another

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back