Beginner needing advice on setting up my tank and cycling it

bro1123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

New here and new to saltwater aquariums.

Recently purchased:
- JBJ 20 gallon cubey AIO w/ stand
- Koralia 3rd gen powerhead (1350 gph)
- AI PRIME 16 HD and fixed mount
- Caribsea live special grade sand and dry life rock
- Dr. Tim’s: one and only and ammonium
- API saltwater test kit
- XP Aqua Duetto ATO and RO Buddie
- Titanium 100 watt heater

Looking for advise on how to get started - I’ve watched the BRS series, but still feel like I have questions.

Needing advise on how to set up the 3 chambers, as well as cycling the tank.

Any recommendations and advice that someone could recommend... much appreciated and nice to meet everyone!

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about AIO so I can’t help much with the chambers. I would mix your saltwater to 35ppt and fill it up just a couple inches. Place rocks how you want it and then sand after that (I prefer rocks dug a little into sand but most recommend it on the glass so burrowing fish don’t get crushed.) I would pick up some sort of bacteria too (fritz turbo, MB7, etc.) I would pick up a better test kit, API will be fine but as you get into fish and especially corals you’ll want a more accurate reading (I recommend Hanna for Alk and P04, salifert or Red Sea for the others). The biggest thing is patience! Welcome to the hobby :)

DeNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Recently purchased:
- API saltwater test kit

Looking for advise on how to get started - I’ve watched the BRS series, but still feel like I have questions.

Any recommendations and advice that someone could recommend... much appreciated and nice to meet everyone!
I’m brand new here too and new to salt as well so I’m gonna hang on your coat tails for this one since I have the same aquarium and similar questions.. I’m looking for a media basket that’ll fit and having no luck finding one. (I’m sure that’s one upgrade that would be helpful)
After watching hours of videos I can confidently say there’s so much to learn and so many differing opinions. We’re in for an adventure! Good luck!

OP
OP
bro1123

bro1123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m brand new here too and new to salt as well so I’m gonna hang on your coat tails for this one since I have the same aquarium and similar questions.. I’m looking for a media basket that’ll fit and having no luck finding one. (I’m sure that’s one upgrade that would be helpful)
After watching hours of videos I can confidently say there’s so much to learn and so many differing opinions. We’re in for an adventure! Good luck!
Got the stand assembled today - just need to attach the door. I currently have a BRUTE 10 gallon in the bottom - doesn’t fit in there with the lid on though unfortunately. And I’d have to cut one of the handles off to close the door properly.

Attachments

• 5E713382-8475-431F-91C8-3A116D200953.jpeg
    5E713382-8475-431F-91C8-3A116D200953.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 28

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Recently purchased:
- API saltwater test kit

I'm new and recently set up my first tank (Waterbox Cube 20)

A few small things I've learned from my beginner mistakes:

I put the ATO sensor in the rear 3rd (return) chamber as I understand that is where the water level drops first

turn ATO off during water changes

Do not insert the tube from your ATO reservoir directly into the tank water as it will create a vacuum effect and such water from your tank back into your reservoir( this happened to me lol)

I keep my heater in the rear 2nd chamber although I suppose it could go into either the 2nd or 3rd

As far as cycling I used live rock but I would suggest that when the tank is wet to shake the bottle of Dr tims well before using (this is important as the bacteria could stick to the inside of the bottle otherwise)

One last tip when adding Dr Tims ammonium chloride, your tank holds less water than the advertised volume (20 gallons) and that is because of water displacement from your rock and sand so take this into account when you are ready to dose to 2ppm ammonia.

Feel free to check out my build thread as I have detailed my process and thoughts that may help you as we have the same size tank!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List some questions you have and we can help. Cycling is just a waiting process. But definitely shake the bacteria well before putting it in. And add ammonia based on how much water you put in the tank not what it can hold. All good suggestions. You can definitely get your cycle started without finishing your plans for the chambers. Fill it up with water and add ammonia and bacteria rock and sand and let the cycle get started it will save you some time while you work the rest out. I dont have an all in one but there will be some people that can definitely help you with all your chamber questions and needs. Test for ammonia the first couple days and forget nitrate and nitrite. When the ammonia starts to go down in color you can start checking the others. With those API test kits you won't get an accurate nitrate reading if you have nitrite in your system so just know it will show elevated nitrates. Have fun happy reefing!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R and welcome to the adventure!

There's been some great advice given already. Just a few thoughts to add.

1. With that sized tank, I really don't think you need a 10 gallon RO reservoir. You could easily make due with a 1 or 2 gallon Rubbermaid container, and just fill it occasionally (once every week or two). That'll give you room for more stuff in the cabinet. And there will be more stuff.

2. I'm a little bit concerned about the 1350 GPH Koralia power head. Even with the special grade sand, that's an awful lot of flow for that sized tank. You may want to research something more in the 4 to 800 gph range.

3. Even though you don't have to track all of the major parameters initially, it may not hurt to invest in higher quality test sets early. I use Red Sea, but Salifert has inexpensive, fairly easy to use and read, and fairly consistent test sets. If you start testing for alkalinity, calcium, nitrate, phosphate, and magnesium early, you'll be more comfortable with the condition of your tank and your skills to monitor the tank's parameters as you add fish and corals.
Oh. And a high quality hydrometer or reflectometer for testing salinity is a MUST.

Just something to consider.

DeNovice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand assembled today - just need to attach the door. I currently have a BRUTE 10 gallon in the bottom - doesn’t fit in there with the lid on though unfortunately. And I’d have to cut one of the handles off to close the door properly.
I don’t know if they’re all this way or just mine but the pilot holes for the door hinges were off on the inside of the stand. I had to drill new ones. It was the most frustrating part of the assembly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back