Brand new to Saltwater, Need advice on testing.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed reef, after using different test kits and doing research, and figuring out best mix of accuracy, cost, and ease of use, here is where I landed:

Hanna: Phosphates, Alkalinity
Salifert: Nitrates, Magnesium, Calcium, and pH
Refractometer from Amazon: Salinity
TDS meter from Amazon: RODI water TDS

OP
OP
L

Lynseyw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting - They are probably right - however - I didn't know your area of expertise. Many tanks would probably do better with coral introductions first
Yeah, I think I will try that first. Their set up with my very same tank is pretty interesting. They did very minimal stuff and did not dose or do a water change in a year. They said they just didn't worry about the little stuff and let it do it's own thing. They only fed like every 3 days. I don't plan on doing that, but it was interesting. I think they only had a pair of clowns and a shrimp. I think I would like to add more then they did, but since the clowns are gonna be my main show fish (I know they aren't crazy, but I like them) I would like to cycle with some easy corals first. I like the mocha clowns, and don't really want to put them in until I know the tank is ready. I really like the GSP too. I know, super basic, but again, I like it. I want to put it on the back wall. I purposely placed my rocks away from the back so it doesn't take over. But it can take over the back wall all it wants :)

OP
OP
L

Lynseyw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed reef, after using different test kits and doing research, and figuring out best mix of accuracy, cost, and ease of use, here is where I landed:

Hanna: Phosphates, Alkalinity
Salifert: Nitrates, Magnesium, Calcium, and pH
Refractometer from Amazon: Salinity
TDS meter from Amazon: RODI water TDS
Thank you!!! I got a 5 stage ro/di from BRS and it has the TDS meter on it already, so hopefully that will work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back