OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for fish shop weekend! My ammonia has not gone above .2ppm it seems, but my nitrites has risen to .5ppm. Trying to increase my ammonia since it seems that most reefers try to get their ammonia to roughly .5 - .8 PPM during a cycle. It's awesome to see things happening though and slowly coming together!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for fish shop weekend! My ammonia has not gone above .2ppm it seems, but my nitrites has risen to .5ppm. Trying to increase my ammonia since it seems that most reefers try to get their ammonia to roughly .5 - .8 PPM during a cycle. It's awesome to see things happening though and slowly coming together!
If you buy bottled ammonia at the fish store and some bacteria that will definitely help kick start things quicker and increase your bacteria colony.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy bottled ammonia at the fish store and some bacteria that will definitely help kick start things quicker and increase your bacteria colony.
So i added a bottle of Dr. Tims bacteria when I started the cycle. If I was to go buy the ammonia would I need to buy another bottle of Dr. Tims or just add ammonia to the tank as is?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i added a bottle of Dr. Tims bacteria when I started the cycle. If I was to go buy the ammonia would I need to buy another bottle of Dr. Tims or just add ammonia to the tank as is?
U can buy Dr Tim's ammonia and u should be fine but u can also buy another bottle if you wanted or totally different bacteria. You can't have too many or too much bacteria in your tank. But I used Dr Tim's ammonia and bacteria to start my first tank and then added some bio-spira bacteria just for giggles. But you shouldn't need more bacteria it might just make things build up quicker.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep as crimson tide says add some good bacteria bottled or a lump of live rock. Live rock is full of good bacteria and looks good it will speed up your cycle

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update. Ammonia levels are looking great! Hovering right around 2 PPM +/- .5. Also seeing a good amount of nitrites! Planning ahead now...what are some methods that you all use to maintain a good pH and Alkalinity? I tested pH out of curiosity and it was around 7.5. I know we want 8.0 - 8.3 is possible for a healthy reef tank.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update. Ammonia levels are looking great! Hovering right around 2 PPM +/- .5. Also seeing a good amount of nitrites! Planning ahead now...what are some methods that you all use to maintain a good pH and Alkalinity? I tested pH out of curiosity and it was around 7.5. I know we want 8.0 - 8.3 is possible for a healthy reef tank.
I do water changes and test twice a week. When you test you can adjust as needed and get used to dosing to keep your tank what you want it at all the time. A stabile Alk is one of the most important things for a tank IMO. Calcium and PH can fluctuate a little but keep your Alk where it is supposed to be and you're usually pretty good. Also try not to have super high phosphates.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use anything you want or like to dose with. Some people like red sea 3 part. Some people like other things Some people like using All for Reef or something similar that is a one mixture product instead of multiple.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes and test twice a week. When you test you can adjust as needed and get used to dosing to keep your tank what you want it at all the time. A stabile Alk is one of the most important things for a tank IMO. Calcium and PH can fluctuate a little but keep your Alk where it is supposed to be and you're usually pretty good. Also try not to have super high phosphates.
What do you dose with? I will certainly keep up with water changes and test. Just ordered some Hanna testers so I don't have to do all this guess work with these cards haha.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you dose with? I will certainly keep up with water changes and test. Just ordered some Hanna testers so I don't have to do all this guess work with these cards haha.
I used to dose with All for Reef and I love it. I've recently be dosing with Red Sea 3 part bc my calcium was good but my Alk was going down quicker. Hoping someone else will respond and tell you what else they use. But I like All for Reef for all around dosing.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose with All for Reef and I love it. I've recently be dosing with Red Sea 3 part bc my calcium was good but my Alk was going down quicker. Hoping someone else will respond and tell you what else they use. But I like All for Reef for all around dosing.
All for Reef is what my local aquarium shop suggested as well. I will see what my levels are when I can finally do a big water change at the end of the cycle.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro-Reef right now. I was thinking of changing it when the bucket runs out

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro-Reef right now. I was thinking of changing it when the bucket runs out
i suggest whatever you start using full time...... you check the label or website and see what it mixes too on all levels then try to keep your dosing to whatever that mixes to. It is so much easier for when you are doing water changes and stuff if you're not having to dose to get to a different number you like. I use red sea coral pro so I make all my parameters meet what my salt mixes to and I dose to keep those levels. So my salt mixes to like Alk of 10 so I keep my Alk at 10. It makes your life easier. Since all salt is about the same if you do switch look for a salt that mixes to what you want.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone again! So quick update. Have not added anything since I used Dr. Tims ammonia and have just been waiting patiently. Readings today stand at .3 PPM for Ammonia levels, .5 PPM for Nitrites, and 2 PPM of Nitrates.

Those familiar with Dr. Tims cycling....do I wait until both ammonia and nitrites are zero and then do a second dosing of ammonia or once they are zero is it cycled? Looking at the forums I see mixed messages.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone again! So quick update. Have not added anything since I used Dr. Tims ammonia and have just been waiting patiently. Readings today stand at .3 PPM for Ammonia levels, .5 PPM for Nitrites, and 2 PPM of Nitrates.

Those familiar with Dr. Tims cycling....do I wait until both ammonia and nitrites are zero and then do a second dosing of ammonia or once they are zero is it cycled? Looking at the forums I see mixed messages.
I would wait until your nitrites zero out then test everything. You should be cycled then. Some people then add 2ppm ammonia back in and see how long it takes to zero out but that I would say is optional. Once the nitrites are gone though that means you nitrifying bacteria have established.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bring good news! Ammonia is at 0 and Nitrites are at 0! Nitrates look to be around 2 - 3 PPM. Do the Nitrates need to be higher? They never went above 2 - 3 PPM even when I first started to see them last week. So based on this....my tank is cycled correct? Should I add more ammonia to the tank and let it go through another round or is it now time for a big water change and to add my CUC and first fish?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back