beginner nitrate and phosphate dosing

AKABigBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a lowboy frag tank with a 40 breeder sump, no skimmer, and i'm currently testing 0/0 phos/nitrate. i have more than a couple zoa frags and a few lps (frogspawn, hammers, a duncan, and an acan). the frogspawn just shed and i've lost one hammer. the acan and the duncan appear fine for now.

my question is: did i lose my lps due to no phos/nitrate? how is it best to start dosing to maintain proper levels?

current parameters (all hanah and a refractometer)
salinity - 35
alk - 8.7
phos - 0
nitrate - 0
ph - 8.5

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
all corals benefit from some type of nutrients in the water. so i will say yes, no3/po4 being 0/0 is definitely a factor. what is your temp? cal? mag?

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use NeoNitro and NeoPhos. There is a calculator/equation on the instructions and also cautions about how far to raise each per day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phos checker is the 713, low range. The nitrate checker is the 782, high range.

The 713 has a range of +/- 0.04 ppm phosphate, so is not able to tell you phosphate is too low.

Same with the Hanna 782 for nitrate; +/- 2 ppm.

So your nutrients may be too low, or may be fine.

Feeding more may be a good experiment.

Brandon2741

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 713 has a range of +/- 0.04 ppm phosphate, so is not able to tell you phosphate is too low.

Same with the Hanna 782 for nitrate; +/- 2 ppm.

So your nutrients may be too low, or may be fine.

Feeding more may be a good experiment.
Hi sorry to bomb in here but I had a few questions about your DIY lime water and using kalk for calcium supplement. Anyways I dont know where to go to start a new question directly to you but if you wouldnt mind helping me out either here or some other way just let me know please and thanks again, Happy New Year BTW!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry to bomb in here but I had a few questions about your DIY lime water and using kalk for calcium supplement. Anyways I dont know where to go to start a new question directly to you but if you wouldnt mind helping me out either here or some other way just let me know please and thanks again, Happy New Year BTW!

Happy to.

Go to the page linked below, hit the blue button in the upper right corner, and start a new thread with a title related to the question. Then just fill in with your questions. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back