Beginner on Dinoflagelletes

iury Zardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm try to get better way to start.... let me star explain my situation. I have 55g tank display more 20g sump, I never had any kind of nutrient export except Skimmer now my reef have 1.2 year, always runt at 0 Phosphate and 0 nitrate and salinity1023, PH:8, Calcium 420, KH:8.4, mg:1100, Because that I get a Dinoflagelletes but I always thought that these dinos were brown algae that disappeared with time, now I decided to research and discover that they are not brown algae but yes dino, now my reef is taken from dino yesterday I started some simple procedures like blowing everything, micro bubbles scrub and shorten the photo period by also removing white light running now with only blue.
Now I have some question with I didn't found answers
first: is it good idea put some chaetomorpha in my sump? like I say I don't have reffugion in my sump. I ask this because I'm thinking if I put new algae may fight with dino
Secont: my Sand have a loot dino, is better remove all my sand ?
can I do some think better than this?

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm try to get better way to start.... let me star explain my situation. I have 55g tank display more 20g sump, I never had any kind of nutrient export except Skimmer now my reef have 1.2 year, always runt at 0 Phosphate and 0 nitrate and salinity1023, PH:8, Calcium 420, KH:8.4, mg:1100, Because that I get a Dinoflagelletes but I always thought that these dinos were brown algae that disappeared with time, now I decided to research and discover that they are not brown algae but yes dino, now my reef is taken from dino yesterday I started some simple procedures like blowing everything, micro bubbles scrub and shorten the photo period by also removing white light running now with only blue.
Now I have some question with I didn't found answers
first: is it good idea put some chaetomorpha in my sump? like I say I don't have reffugion in my sump. I ask this because I'm thinking if I put new algae may fight with dino
Secont: my Sand have a loot dino, is better remove all my sand ?
can I do some think better than this?
There is some info on chaeto helping fight dinos but it varies from tank to tank. So if you are willing to lose some space to add chaeto and add baffles so it doesn't get in your equipment. Also If you are running 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate chaeto may not grow. I would start by trying to raise nutrients. I would leave the sand for now.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise nutrients in a dino tank? No.
Wcs. Carbon. Remove with turkey baster and spray in a 5g bucket.
Hths and continue what your doing. The dino will sit on top of your sandbed. I dont think it will be inside your sand. A picture is worth a 1000 words and would help us to evaluate your situation.
D

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise nutrients in a dino tank? No.
Wcs. Carbon. Remove with turkey baster and spray in a 5g bucket.
Hths and continue what your doing. The dino will sit on top of your sandbed. I dont think it will be inside your sand. A picture is worth a 1000 words and would help us to evaluate your situation.
D
Why shouldn't he raise nutrients? dinos come from zero'd nutrients

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
iury Zardo

iury Zardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
My Phosphate and nitrates are zero, I start to food more my fish to try get little ranger of this.
Also I blow all the Dinos in the corals and rocks, I'm reducing my light time and put all in the blue and using nano bubble scrub and today I will start to dose hydrogen peroxide, I rear if dose hydrogen peroxide in skimmer air entry may works better, what you think about this?. I don't have liquid bacteria Do you recommend any one?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Phosphate and nitrates are zero, I start to food more my fish to try get little ranger of this.
Also I blow all the Dinos in the corals and rocks, I'm reducing my light time and put all in the blue and using nano bubble scrub and today I will start to dose hydrogen peroxide, I rear if dose hydrogen peroxide in skimmer air entry may works better, what you think about this?. I don't have liquid bacteria Do you recommend any one?
Bacter 7 is excellent
Perxoide very safe to use. Do run skimmer and empty cup daily

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back