Beginner using a 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo tank: Coral species advice please?

freeblackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I'm a complete beginner, in the initial planning stage. Could members please advise me on species of coral suited to some parameters that I'll lay out here?

I'm looking to start out very slowly, and with no modifications in the foreseeable future (other than a circulation pump (Which among those at the link would you choose?), heater, and possibly a protein skimmer) of a 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo aquarium (1381 lumens; 14,000 K). I'm planning on using CaribSea Arag-Alive substrate (Fiji Pink sand) and CaribSea LifeRock.

I'd like to stock it with corals meeting the following criteria, in order of importance:
  1. Appropriate given the limited lighting of the 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo aquarium
  2. For beginners (hardy, popular, etc.)
  3. Slow-growing
  4. Low-aggression (to the extent possible)
  5. Colors: cooler colors (greens, blues, violets), silver, mild pinks and peaches
One thing I'd like to avoid, for as long as possible, is the process of cutting back "overgrown" species that are threatening other species and/or the overall manageability and balance of the whole. Ideally no one coral would be disproportionately dominant and/or large in relation to other species. I"m fine with creating "islands" of Life Rock to discourage the spreading of individual coral species.

I'm aiming to start with the smallest frags available, and going very slowly in building out a nano reef. I'd like eventually to have one or two Ocellaris clownfish or a few/several blue-green chromis (which would probably necessitate a new, larger tank), and possibly a Pacific cleaner shrimp, but I won't add fish unless I happen to find them being given away (adopted out, basically, possibly for a token adoption fee) on Craigslist, etc. (I'd like to avoid buying fish)

I know there are a number of other conditions that I haven't considered (e.g., water clarity, flow) and I'd be very grateful to you for input on how to factor-in and weight any of them (and input on anything else, really).

Thanks very much, everyone!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be not to start with the "beginner" corals(xenia, Kenya tree, mushrooms, GSP, Anthelia, Zoas, Palys). Not that they are bad at all. I had them and still have them. I love the beginner corals. However, once you learn the process and they start taking off then they will become the plague and a pain to remove. If you want to try your hand at growing some hardy corals and get some experience before moving onto others then I think the beginner corals would be a great option. My advice would be to place them on a separate rock so when they do get out of hand then removing them will not be a problem.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things.

Corals regardless of what they are, get better/more efficient at eating (filter etc) as they get bigger. I have noticed I have amazing success when starting with larger specimens regardless of what they are. Something that may irritate and bleach a larger specimen can kill a tiny nub of a frag.

I would get a hardy leather, the bushy branchy guys (stylo?) a hammer, maybe a cup coral of some kind, and zoas if you are into them.

OP
OP
F

freeblackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. I'm going out to a LFS today that's a CairbSea dealer to look at what CaribSea LifeRock pieces are available. I really want a circular cave shape to start with, and I'm not thrilled with the random shapes that come in their 20 and 40 lbs grab boxes.

As an aside, when one trims a coral, how does one quickly "euthanize" the cuttings (i.e., the polyps in the cuttings)? Does clove oil work? Thanks very much in advance.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. I'm going out to a LFS today that's a CairbSea dealer to look at what CaribSea LifeRock pieces are available. I really want a circular cave shape to start with, and I'm not thrilled with the random shapes that come in their 20 and 40 lbs grab boxes.

As an aside, when one trims a coral, how does one quickly "euthanize" the cuttings (i.e., the polyps in the cuttings)? Does clove oil work? Thanks very much in advance.

I use Seachem Reef Dip. It's an Iodine dip that isnt too harsh on the corals. I use this to dip all of my corals before placing them in QT or my DT. Also, once fragged then I glue them onto a plug then place them in the dip as well. Dipping after cutting can be an irritant with some corals and the type of dip. However, the iodine dip I feel just helps with the healing.

OP
OP
F

freeblackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Reef Dip. It's an Iodine dip that isnt too harsh on the corals. I use this to dip all of my corals before placing them in QT or my DT. Also, once fragged then I glue them onto a plug then place them in the dip as well. Dipping after cutting can be an irritant with some corals and the type of dip. However, the iodine dip I feel just helps with the healing.

Oh sorry, I meant what does one use to quickly and painlessly kill coral polyps living in sections of coral that one has just pruned. That is, say a particular coral is overrunning my tank and I need to prune it back a bit, but I'm not going to frag the cuttings. I'd like to have a way to quickly and painlessly kill the little coral polyps living in the sections that I've just pruned, so they don't suffocate to death after I remove them from the water. Is there a method to do this?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals don't experience pain IMO

it's like having the guts of a human without the brain, like a stomach for example, by itself, does it feel pain? or does the human that "owns" the stomach feel the pain...

"technically" we propagate corals by "cloning" existing tissue, so they don't even have offspring or parents via sexual reproduction. They are all just "replicated tissue" from the same "mother colonies"

OP
OP
F

freeblackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals don't experience pain IMO

it's like having the guts of a human without the brain

Yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure they don't, given that they lack a centralized nervous system, but there's just something about it, as they're technically animals and all. But that's just me.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure they don't, given that they lack a centralized nervous system, but there's just something about it, as they're technically animals and all. But that's just me.

theoretically, if they don't experience pain, there's no way to not "kill them painlessly;" all coral death is painless

anyway I respect your effort

OP
OP
F

freeblackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theoretically, if they don't experience pain, there's no way to not "kill them painlessly;" all coral death is painless

anyway I respect your effort

Excellent point! I'm thinking it's probably similar to something like spermatozoa dying.

Sigh. None of the shape of LifeRock that I wanted at the LFS. I wish CaribSea would offer WYSIWYG sales. I really want a cave/donut shape that'll actually fit in the Fluval Evo XII (13.5-gallon). Something like the 16-inch "MegaCave" but smaller (the Fluval's width is just short of fitting it, at 15").

Anyway, yes, I'm going to go exclusively with soft corals starting out. Thanks.

Birr83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R. I cannot give guidance on the Coral selection as I'm a beginner myself. Here is what I learned regarding the aquascape process with the same tank. I just started mine a week and a half ago.

If your very specific about how your aquascape looks, you have alot more options with dry rock and forming yourself. I made this from 3 smaller pieces and super glue gel. However, cycling takes longer than with live rock. BRS had a good vid on creating caves with dry rock also.

IMG_20190911_150917.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back