Beginner with Fluval Evo 13.5g - easy (?) water chemistry maintenance

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a new Fluval Evo 13.5g tank that I have not set up yet. Years ago, I had a FOWLR that used a doser connected to an alkalinity monitor to dose kalkwasser ... probably overkill but at the time I had the interest in the technology, and the money. ;-) Not so much these days; I'm just interested in keeping the proper chemistry for an actual reef tank with some easy beginner corals, etc..

I planned to use Instant Ocean salt, as I used to do, although I'm open to suggestions for other brand salt that would better maintain reef chemistry. Although I have no problem with monitoring salinity, alkalinity etc. levels, I'm hoping to get to the point where there is a minimal amount of chemistry-related equipment involved, substituted with good manual practices like weekly water changes.

In addition to the stock light, I have two 453nm actinic blue reef bars from 21ledusa.com. Currently, no protein skimmer. CaribSea live reef sand and Marcos dry rocks.

What I'm looking for is related experience from people who have the Fluval Evo 13.5g and have been maintaining good reef chemistry with a minimal amount of equipment and technology. I've read that regular weekly water changes are of great help in keeping the chemistry stable, but am looking for any other advice.

Thanks in advance! And my apologies if another thread already covers this.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a Fluval 13.5 I would upgrade the filtration (InTank), possibly the pump (Sicce) and plan for a skimmer down the road.

I like Tropic Marin salt but you'll get a dozen different opinions here. If you stick with 10% water changes every 2 weeks, don't overstock and don't overfeed - that should be the bulk of your work.

JamaicanReefer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The First thing to do is get a better lighting AI Prime is good, get a media basket for chamber 1, and add live rocks in a bag in 2 or even media rings. Water change every 1 to 2 week. One more thing also Get a Lid for the new lighting or make your own.

I also have this Fluval 13.5 tank love it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back