Beginner

rajh79

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
19
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Keeping a salt water tank has been a dream of mine for some time. At the moment I’m consuming info. I’m a bit shocked by the price of a large custom tank so I’m watching the used market, tank integrity a worry, but I don’t really know what to worry about at this point. What interests me most rn is a reef tank, coral forest with minimal fish and starfish, crabs, snails, hermits. I’d like to focus on live stock that will help manage the environment etc. (idk what I’m talking about, yet). At first I thought 120-150gal tank and now I’m leaning more towards 300 for stability and the upgrade itch, hence why I looked at glass cages to price a custom build. My background is biology/chemistry/neuroscience and I’m very comfortable with construction, to a point. I’ll likely spend a year learning and possibly buying equipment. Bought an RO/DI value plus from BRS, Labor Day sale! Anyway, glad to be here and very happy to throw myself into something that absolutely thrills me!
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
I hear you. Moving slowly is my plan for now. Boring seems unlikely as I imagine all the work involved, but we shall see. Reading as much as I can and planning is also tons of fun!
 
Hello all! Keeping a salt water tank has been a dream of mine for some time. At the moment I’m consuming info. I’m a bit shocked by the price of a large custom tank so I’m watching the used market, tank integrity a worry, but I don’t really know what to worry about at this point. What interests me most rn is a reef tank, coral forest with minimal fish and starfish, crabs, snails, hermits. I’d like to focus on live stock that will help manage the environment etc. (idk what I’m talking about, yet). At first I thought 120-150gal tank and now I’m leaning more towards 300 for stability and the upgrade itch, hence why I looked at glass cages to price a custom build. My background is biology/chemistry/neuroscience and I’m very comfortable with construction, to a point. I’ll likely spend a year learning and possibly buying equipment. Bought an RO/DI value plus from BRS, Labor Day sale! Anyway, glad to be here and very happy to throw myself into something that absolutely thrills me!
Welcome to the forums!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new